1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about Candace Parker's C-cup being referenced in this lede?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 14, 2009.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wept.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

As did Nik Caner-Medley.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He cried because he was a pussy who stood out by the arc all day long.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Damn. Nice pull.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Men -- it was obviously an attempt by the league office to make sure people knew there were a few heterosexual women in the league. It was obviously a bad idea and was universally ripped to shreds......

And while I don't have a link to the actual press release since it was a few years back, I did some quick research and have found these two articles which mention it.........................

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketba/wnba/stories/2001-07-23-lesbian-fans.htm

The money quote from that article........

"Griffin, author of "Strong Women, Deep Closets: Lesbians and Homophobia in Sports," was in the closet herself when she was a swimming coach at UMass.

"I was one of those coaches who was very concerned about what parents would think, about what my athletes would think," said Griffin. "I was too scared. The thought of being publicly out was terrifying."

Griffin said the WNBA has exhibited a similar fear.

"Last year they even put out a list of all the married and engaged players in the league," said Griffin, referring to a press release that listed 28 players. It just seems to me it's another attempt to disassociate the league from lesbians, even though everyone knows that there are lots of lesbian fans and players. It's hard to imagine a pro league being more insulting to a group of fans."

And this one.......

http://www.lezkeepitreal.com/the-wnbas-big-fat-closet/

The money shot......

While not acting blatantly homophobic, the WNBA prefers to focus on obviously straight players, even going so far as to put out a press release a few years ago listing all those who were married or engaged. They push the family-oriented persona, afraid that anything else might taint they’re image.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No a woman should drop half her name because it looks stupid on her jersey when it is wrapped halfway around her shoulders and down her arms.......

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

lezkeepitreal(dot)com?? Um, okay.

It's just too bad that whoever wrote this doesn't know how to differentiate between their homophones (no pun intended):

They push the family-oriented persona, afraid that anything else might taint they’re image.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

honest, chief, tell me you plan some of this shit.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Here's one for Sam Mills...

Norbert Davidds-Garrido

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=4164719

Parker gives birth to healthy baby girl, cup size TBA

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Already ranked 74th on the ESPN RISE girl basketball prospects list.

Draft saved Draft deleted