1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you explain the Adam and Eve/evolution thing to your kids?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: How do you explain religion to your kids?

No.

And even if the answer is "yes," that intent very well may have ended within miliseconds of the creation of energy and/or matter.

I think of "god" more as a "first cause," which doesn't necessarily entail intelligence, either.

I don't know. Like I said, my answer is: It's not for us to comprehend.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Japanese are good watchmakers.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My bad.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes.

Now, do you? This isn't some of weird litmus test. But if you don't, then it follows that your kid has already been exposed to what you'd call "myths."

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, I'd argue that you are simply avoiding reasoning through your beliefs because you don't like the conclusion.

A first cause may or may not be god, but if it is not god than that is not a belief in god.
    Gravity is not god. Nor is electromagnetism. Nor is the strong force. Nor is the weak force.
    If you believe existence is the result of these or some similar force yet to be defined by physics, that's not a belief in god.

Part of my argument is that all discussion and contemplation of god in human history presume intelligence and intent.
    Based on that premise, all existence is intelligent design, whether your believe in creationism or abiotic synthesis.
    Intelligent design does not require that the god's intent or purpose be ongoing in any hands-on way.

I'm not sure if you are avoiding admitting you don't believe in god or you are avoiding admitting you do believe in god.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It seems to me that there are a lot of people who believe in god and believe in evolution; however, they don't want to admit that what they believe in is intelligent design because the associate intelligent design with quasi-creationism, the religious right or some other baggage.

7. Dick Whitman

The answer is: I don't know. Probably not. But I hope so. Which is basically what I tell him. (Without the "probably not" part.)

Adam and Eve and some of the Old Testament is different, though, I think, as it basically contradicts an entire tenet of scientific discovery in favor of dogma. Jesus Christ is, on the other hand, a singular, extraordinary figure.

8. Dick Whitman

I don't think this is actually true. Not "all."

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Can you give an example of belief in this unintelligent god who conjured existence unintentionally?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

By the way, 'not for us to comprehend' is a rephrasing of the old Catholic non-explanation of 'it's a mystery.'

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Start with Ecclesiastes, then move to Job.

12. Dick Whitman

Sure. I'll quote some passages from materials I have read later when I have some time.

But it really doesn't matter, does it? Even if human thought generally considers god to be an intelligent creator designing with intent, that proves ... nothing about god's nature. Nada.

Draft saved Draft deleted