1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you explain the Adam and Eve/evolution thing to your kids?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Re: How do you explain religion to your kids?

My wife is Christian while I am sort of whatever.

Our 6 year old daughter told me the other day that "everyone is brothers and sisters in God's eyes".

I have told her in the past that there is a heaven because she does not to be freaked out about death any more than she needs to be freaked out that Santa is not real. This came on the heels of her worrying about her bones being in the ground like dinosaurs.

I hope we raise a rational child who can eventually make her own decisions but if the concept of heaven relieves stress than I have no problem with that illusion.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tell your kids they are wearing clothes because a talking snake told a woman to eat an apple.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not troubled by it.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"Religion is a smile on a dog."

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Almost all religions teach the same basic truths, and most sane people think these basic truths are good.

That should be a good enough reason to stick with it.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I keep my mouth shut. They, and my wife, get something out of it and I don't need to confuse them by telling them I feel it's just another fairy tale. I pretty much just smile and nod. But, when I'm directly asked, I give a generic answer, like "Mother nature caused it"

7. Dick Whitman

No, that's most certainly not a good enough reason to stick with it - not in its entirety. Not when it provably flies in the face of science, like Adam and Eve.

And you don't need religion for those "truths." Although I get that, for whatever reason, people feel the need/desire to seek out an authority.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Religion is comforting. The reason I've yet to call myself a full-blown atheist is because the idea of nothing after death is depressing. Yeah, yeah, live life to the fullest and live everyday sounds good but when the world has beaten you down so much that all you have left is "Well, I'm here to see another day," it makes for a pretty shitty existence and knowing that death won't bring an eternal mansion is depressing

9. 93Devil

Or to be around nice people and do shit with each other a couple times a week.

10. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I agree.

But believing in Adam and Eve? Believing that evolution isn't true? As a grown-up?

Not acceptable.

11. 93Devil

Look up Paul Harvey's Open Letter From God sometime. I think you will like it.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think that's a reasonable enough take on it. I think focusing on the "soul" -- the relationship, if you will -- is a much better path for kids than trying to hash out day-age theory, creationism, etc.

It's possible your son brings up Adam and Eve, but I wonder how hard a preschool presses that story. There's a lot of moving parts, if you will, in Genesis 1-3. And not a lot of churches -- including some Catholic churches -- spend much time in the OT any more.

Draft saved Draft deleted