1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you dress when you go to bars?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 23, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I really have no idea. I'm not a fashion guy, but I'm told it's fairly important if you're looking to meet someone. I went the Barney Stinson route the other day (only because I was already wearing a suit for something else), but I felt like a pretentious douche.

I've seen some of the clothing discussions here, so I figured someone might be able to help a fashion-challenged moron like me.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If you're prospecting?

RULE ONE: NO shorts.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Nonsense. Wear what you want. Sometimes I go in (khaki) shorts and a tee shirt, sometimes I'll put a polo on. Wear what's comfortable and would be considered "you." That way if you're looking to meet someone, she won't meet you thinking you're one type of guy when you're really another.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How old are you? What kind of bar? What kind of shape are you in?

A lot of blanks to fill in.

In general:

(1) Button-up shirt, probably untucked, but make sure it's designed to be left untucked. Don't wear a dress shirt untucked. It's too long. Don't wear a shirt three sizes too big untucked. It'll look like a tent. Plaid is in right now, scheme-wise, but you can't go wrong with a traditional solid like blue or gray. Don't get some ugly solid, though, like they sell at mall stores like Express. Stay away from logos if you can if you are over 25. Except LaCoste. That's the exception.

(2) Jeans are OK. Dark blue preferably. But khakis are OK, too. But no pleats. For God's sake, no pleats. Or cargo pockets.

(3) V-neck sweater over the shirt if it's chilly outside. Probably some shade of gray or navy, but brown or maroon or green can work.

(4) For God's sake, don't wear gym socks. Christ, don't wear gym socks. Get yourself some argylls or striped socks.

(5) For God's sake, don't wear gym shoes. Wear some loafers or bucks or fashionable sneakers. For God's sake, don't wear gym shoes.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wear your finest Marcus Dupree jersey.

6. Dick Whitman

Get a subscription to GQ and Esquire. They are cheap and usually have some really good tips about stuff like this, including fit and so forth. GQ has an occasional feature where they pull some schlub off the street and make him look 100 times nicer.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And it only costs $550 for the outfit!

8. Dick Whitman

A lot more than that for the outfits in there.

But the ideas carry over to cheaper fare.

I bought a pair of jeans I love the other day at American Eagle at the mall for $32, including tax.

9. Dick Whitman

You can be comfortable and look nice. They aren't mutually exclusive.

And my advice was definitely for the microbrew/classy bar scene, not the boom-boom room.

10. Dick Whitman

Sorry, everybody, for posting an honest thread about family pictures.

A moderator, "doesn't even know what to say" about the fact that it was serious.

I thought it was fine.

What the fuck ever.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

WRONG!

I prefer the cargo shorts/sleeveless shirt combo, but I'll wear argyle socks to class it up. Drives the ladies wild.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Assuming all these dress questions are serious, the answer is simple and not simple: It all depends.

*What kind of bar? A dive/hangout type of place? Upscale in a fancy hotel?
    *What are you doing when the flight lands? People who dress up to fly just because are idiots. Get comfortable. Don't wear your suit unless you have to go straight from the plane to a meeting.
    *Family picture? All depends. What does your family want to do? Matching outfits only work if you're the family in Modern Family.

Last time I went to a bar, I wore jeans, a t-shirt and a ball-style cap. I was overdressed.
    Last time I flew, I wore jeans and a polo shirt.
    Last time I took a family picture, we all wore Santa hats. The kids were 4 and 1.

And Dick, you're pushing it. Hard. You don't like it here, leave. PLEASE.

Draft saved Draft deleted