1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you deal with incompetent editors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Voodoo Chile, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't worry. Sounds like she'll be promoted out of your hair in no time.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I hope that's not the case. I know that was rarely the case any place I've been. The copy shouldn't be messed with if it doesn't need to be, and should be changed if it needs it no matter who wrote it. I've been an advocate for writers I couldn't stand and once checked out a writer I liked and admired (and still do) because I thought I had read it before somewhere else (and either it wasn't plagiarism or I couldn't find it). Any copy editor who falls for sucking up is a moron for believing it and a total scumbag for playing favorites. Don't go out of your way to alienate the desk, but good copy editors won't respect an ass-kisser. Hopefully, Mizzou, they leave your copy alone because you're great at what you do, not because you compliment them. Their duty is to the readers and the paper, with the writer a distant third.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this is not unique to journalism. you have a bad boss. wait out her promotion or firing or transfer or do the best you can to minimize how her ineptitude affects you, then move on as soon as you can.

4. More than half of the editors I've ever had are like this. I've accepted it as part of the job. Editors like us to question authority but not theirs.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or maybe holmes' copy simply sucks ... probably one of the two.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, Write, you've had some bad luck with editors. "More than half?" Geez. Guess I've been lucky, or maybe it evens out over time, but the really hostile or crappy editors I've worked with are far in the minority, and this even was the case when I was still writing full-time.

7. Well, I did work for Gannett for several years ...

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

All of you should get together with her and voice your concerns. If that doesn't work, go to her bosses.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

if you work at my paper you promote them to a more prominent position

Draft saved Draft deleted