1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you cover weightlifting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ogre, May 4, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I realize that, just couldn't get it out of my head.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

It's a relief to know it's clean.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We happen to live in a high school powerlifting hotbed. We do the occasional powerlifting feature and run results, and it seems to keep the powermoms and powerdads at bay.

4. You better or this kid will come and kick your ass.

[​IMG]

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good old "Pocket Hercules" :)

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

'Pocket Hercules'?

Naim Suleymanoglu is not amused.

[​IMG]

7. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Yep, that's the REAL PH!

He was badas@!!

8. John D. Villarreal

Hey Ogre,

You are most welcome. AP that is cool I have always liked their sports people & have had good encounters/relations with them.

Yes, I am sure your story will be shorter - lol. I was just trying to give you all the possible angles to cover & deep background.

Can't wait to see the story & again I would appreciate some credit if possible (got background from me or whatever is appropriate for the piece).

Have fun at the meet!

John D. Villarreal

9. John D. Villarreal

Thanks Boom!

& right on target as usual.

Target acquired...locked...birds away....target destroyed...Control we're heading home - LOL.

Sweet!

10. boots

boots New Member

How do you cover weightlifting? You don't.
    All kidding aside, it's actually pretty easy. Just talk to the athletes about form and technique.

11. ogre

ogre Member

Here is the Friday story, or what was left of it. Not sure what was cut by AP and what was cut by cbssportsline. Spent 7 hours on this, including the Chitown-Schaumburg commute, which is always fun at about 5 p.m.

Again, many thanks to all that gave advice and tips, especially JDV.

---
    SCHAUMBURG, Ill. -- Melanie Roach won her second consecutive and seventh overall USA Weightlifting national title Friday night, seven months after undergoing surgery to repair a herniated disk in her back.

Roach had a 26-kilogram victory in the woman's 53-kilogram division, finishing with a total of 184 kilograms -- her best result in nine years.

"I started doing Olympic lifts again in January," Roach said. "Now I can train consistently. Even though I'm 32, age is not a factor, being able to train consistently is really helping."

Roach lifted a personal best of 80 kilograms in the snatch, but was called for a foul. She settled for her second attempt of 78 kilograms to go with a clean and jerk of 106 kilograms.

The competition, the primary qualifier for the Pan-American Games and the U.S. world team, will continue through Sunday.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Three page of thread!!!
    And you got five graphs? Seven sentences?

Draft saved Draft deleted