1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you choose a financial advisor?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 24, 2008.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Solid.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Who knows the most tax cheats gets my vote.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've had a financial advisor since my dad died seven years ago.
    My advisor and I (and now my advisor, my wife & I) meet face-to-face once a year to discuss how our portfolios are doing, if our long term/short term financial needs have changed, if either of our risk tolerance has changed, etc.
    My advisor's firm sends monthly statements but my advisor will send us quarterly reviews assessing how our accounts are doing. My advisor will also rebalance the accounts as needed if the market causes the account to get too heavily weighted in one sector, a fund starts underperforming, etc.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

With the requisite substantial penalty for early withdrawl.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The safest bank in America today:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This is actually the question I have. I'm a journalist, so I don't have any money and certainly don't have any to invest, but I have questions and want to make sure I'm on the right track. Is it common to get a "checkup" with a planner, or will I be pitched to buy a lot of things I can't afford?

Let me put it another way: Is this like getting your face done up at the department store makeup calendar, where they'll do it for free/cheap, but you're expected to buy a few products in addition?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54340/

Draft saved Draft deleted