1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you beat guys feel about this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I pondered which board to put that thread on. I think it fit better here, but for whatever reason posted it on the big board.

And, as I said in the other thread, I've fallen asleep myself in a pressbox waiting for the game to start. But it's not surprising the PR dude pulled the item. It's fairly bad form, IMO, to mock the people you are supposed to be working with on a professional basis.

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

First of all... a PR blog? Lame. If we think fans don't care about the inner workings of journalism, why would anything think they care more about the PR of a professional team? If it's a way to rip writers, then I can only imagine what kind of professional relationship exists. Sad.
    As for the picture. If that was me, I think I'd be pissed. Duh. That's message boarder fodder forever. But seriously, I travel a lot. I don't think I've ever fallen asleep at work. How bad is that?
    Seriously, just don't pass out.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've seen a few desk guys nod off. At one place it was enough of a problem that the SE had to call the guy in for a talk. I was on a tryout once a long time ago and looked over at the news desk and saw an old guy slumped over his terminal. I thought the guy maybe croaked, so I pointed it out to the sports slot, who said, "He takes a nap there every night between editions."

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Bush league on both parties' parts.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

That's funny, but seriously, who the fuck would fall asleep during this. A game, maybe, but when you're supposed to be getting some goods, that'd be hard.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't really think about it too much one way or the other. Baseball beat guys show up to the park at 3 for a 7 o'clock game and spend about three hours pre-game getting 20 minutes worth of interview. On the road, as the Dodgers were, BP doesn't start till 5:30. With Little in the dugout, I'm assuming this was either during or just before BP. He's probably got all the interviews he needs pre-game done already. It was the first game in NY and he just flew in from MKE that morning after a night game the night before. Anyone telling me they wouldn't be tired?

You can bet he got his work done that day.

Anyone who's never covered the NBA or MLB beat doesn't understand how much of a grind it really is.

That being said, I'd have found a different place than the dugout to catch a 10-minute cat nap.

As for the PR guy, he wrote on the blog about jet lag and didn't seem to write anything bad about the guy. I don't think there was a malicious intent. Others may choose to disagree.

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

We had a desk guy fall asleep, I kid you not, with his finger on the 'Z' key. The screen was filled with them. If I wasn't there I wouldn't believe it myself.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Funny stories all, but did anyone take pics of the other guys napping and post them where the managing editor might see them?

Probably not.

That's the problem here.

I have no idea what happened here. Tony might be jet-lagged, he might be sick as a dog, he may have put his head back and closed his eyes for all of 10 seconds. The picture freezes a fraction of a second and gives the impression he's Rip Van Winkling.

He may be a degenerate who consistently shows up in no condition to do his job. He may be a slacker of the highest order. He may be narcoleptic.

Whatever the case, it's absolutely horseshit for a PR guy to put this picture in a place where the management of his paper is likely to see it. There are a lot of guys in suits who don't understand what a grind covering baseball is and what a bitch it is to get from Cincinnati to Philadelphia in time for the 3:30 clubhouse opening. So there's at least a chance that some management type at the paper is going to see this and say, "We're spending (pick an amount) to send this guy on the road so he can sleep in the dugout?" I've worked in places where the upper management thought covering baseball meant you sat there with a pennant and a hot dog and -- oh yeah -- typed up a little story about the game after you had the thrill of mingling with the players.

There may some ambitious young hack on staff who would love to advance his career by covering baseball for a season or two, except he's been told the beat belongs to Tony. Well, wouldn't this be an interesting thing to circulate?

If the PR guy thinks this is one of the funniest things he's ever seen, he can e-mail it to his friends or he can print out a copy and show selected people. The fucker potentially hung someone out here.

In this case, I'd be tempted to see how well PR's guy computer could handle swallowing about a gallon of sticky Pepsi. Watching him try to retrieve all his files might be one of the funniest things I've ever seen. And everything he says is now on the record, so if he gets frustrated and mumbles, "What a waste of money Joe Slugger is," he should look for it in the paper with his name attached.

Fuck the Dodgers and the worthless prick who put this on the blog. This stinks like Lasorda's toxic farts.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No, it would be what shockey said.

We make fun of athletes, presidents .. anyone in columns and photos, too.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

now that is some funny shit, right there.

as for the dodger guy in the dugout, they should have given him a shaving cream hat.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

How long was he waiting.

I have sleeping issues... so I know exactly how this could happen.

I've fallen asleep at red lights.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Not a real classy thing to do by Dodgers PR.

Draft saved Draft deleted