1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you approach game coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so shot, are you suggesting the phrase: Jimmy Douchbag CLEARED the boards in a formidable manner and finished with 16 rebounds?

2. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

That's so ridiculous. Using one word like "corralled" isn't enough to call someone a bad writer. You absolutely can not judge a 500-600 word story based on him using a synonym that you don't approve of.

Bottom line is if the story flows well and tells the story, then it's a good story. Some are better than others, and I agree that some people get too thesaurus-happy. But let's try to keep this in focus here.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Still haven't seen anyone actually explain their problem with "grabbed."

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Agree with Mert. See nothing wrong with grabbed.

I mean, you do grab the rebound. Can you not even pull down or snag a rebound either. Is "had" the best way to go? I figure as long as you don't throw about 20 different ways to got had 16 rebounds, it's okay using a couple.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Oh, since this got WAAAAAYYYYY off topic. If it's two teams you cover, go with the winner angle.

If not, go with the your team lost or your team won angle.

Oh, and it's always best to start with play-by-pay from the first quarter and and go from there. The end of the game should be at the end of the story. Right?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Only if you refer to him as a "cager." Until the spring, when he becomes a "thinclad."

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

There are so many better synonyms to use:
    My favorite: spirit away.

abduct, catch, clutch, collar, gain, glom onto, grapple, grasp, grip, jerk, jump, kidnap, nab, pluck, pull, rescue, seize, snag, spirit away, steal, take, win, wrench, wrest, yank

8. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

In terms of interesting writing, I think the priority should be on active verbs. Always better to say "scored" 14 points instead of "had" 14 points; and as far as rebounds, do the desk people here approve of anything other than "had"?

9. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

With game stories, to me it's best to lead with a crucial point in the game, explain why it was crucial and what happened and then do recap based on how much space you have.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I never said I had a problem with grabbed.
    I also never said using corralled made Sue Me a bad writer, just that using words like that is bad writing.

11. I always find it best to break the game into halves or quarters.

One of my most used ledes is: It was a tale of two halves.

Works every time.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You know, that can work with teams or cities, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted