1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do we feel about the Chron guys now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 19, 2007.

1. creamora

creamora Member

I thought this was a thread about the messengers. Apparently, I was wrong.

creamora

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Point taken. You've also taken that premise in every direction you could to try to smear them--far beyond the point or scope of the original post. Which is why I find it so curious you avoid addressing the veracity of what they reported, but have no problem defaming them in any and every way you can think of.

Also, the thread is not JUST about the messengers. Their names don't mean anything to anyone without the work they did to earn their fame. The question was "how do we feel about the Chron guys now?" That implies that we were already thinking about them for a reason.

Is there any reason to believe the thing that made them relevant in the first place is untrue? If you want to discredit them, do it with some substance. Prove their reporting about Balco, Bonds, Jones, etc. wrong.

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I think this is indeed an important judicial case, but unlike many journalists I am not in favor of a shield law.

Why?

We are protected by the first ammendment, but journalists were never intended to be their own class of people.

What do I mean?

We should have the same rights as everyone else. Not more. Who's to say who a journalist is? Is a web blogger a journalist? How about a nosy guy who finds something out but doesn't have a newspaper?

We aren't licensed, and that is a good thing. Once the government starts setting criteria for what a journalist is, it hampers the first ammendment. The beauty of the first ammendment is that it applies to everyone. Journalists aren't a regulated profession and if journalists are shielded it begs the legal question of:

What's a journalist?

That's a backdoor way for the government to regulate and essentially license the profession. Who says who is a journalist? The government, I think not.

Once you start distinguising between classes of people, the public is harmed. The last thing our profession need is to be treated with a special status. That will be the death knell for this profession.

What's the answer?

Well, there isn't a good one. You either burn your source or go to jail for contempt.

It's a tough choice. I am not sure what the answer is, but a shield law isn't good policy for our profession.

The only logical s

4. creamora

creamora Member

My understanding of the thread was "now?". Meaning now that we know they were bedding down with a dog with fleas. This thread is post LA times article and was not about the quality of their work be it good or bad. Ragu, you seem to find a way to twist things back to your single purpose which is to promote the Chronicle reporters as heros? I hope they step up with the when, what and why themselves at some point. The world would like to know and sooner than later.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Creamora congrats on the 100th post.
    I'll give you this, you came to this board with a single-minded purpose. All 100 of your posts have been your thoughts on the Chronicle guys.
    So let me post a few questions on unrelated topics, feel free to answer in essay form
    Is Jessica Biel hot?
    What the hell is up with Lost?
    Do you think Battlestar Galactica kicks ass?
    Who's better, Jordan or Kobe?
    Why is Mark Prior such a pussy?
    Favorite 80s band?
    Best movie you've seen in the last five years?
    Shaven or unshaven?

6. creamora

creamora Member

JayFarrar,

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I try to stay on task. Here's a prediction. The home run record will fall this season. The haters in the world of journalism will be out in force more than ever before. However, a man with talent, determination, focus, concentration, experience and an unbelievably powerful mindset will prevail and overcome all of the obstacles. It's also my guess that the two Chronicle reporters may even secretly enjoy watching number 756 as it goes over the fence. Good or bad, they will have been a part of one of the biggest moments in all of sports history.

creamora

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[/cue the John Phillip Sousa music]

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Lance Armstrong is going for the home run record too?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With that ball will also go the final strands of baseball innocence.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Baseball hasn't had an innocent day in its existence, so I really don't see a need to start now. There's always been plenty of behind-the-scenes treachery to go along with what happens on the field. I think that's part of what makes it so compelling. The off-the-field storylines combine with the games on a daily basis for a live, eight-month soap opera. It's the original reality TV.

11. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Cran, at last on this thread, we agree.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There you go. Let's grab a beer and some peanuts and enjoy another gloriously imperfect season.

Draft saved Draft deleted