1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do we feel about the Chron guys now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 19, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Cream, why? So you can make a joke about how I fill out the shirt? I know you too well, you sly fox, you.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nothing new but it does reinforce the point I've made over and over: this sad little episode would hurt more than help reporters' efforts for a federal shield law. Now, I think we should get back to the duel between Ragu and Creamora to settle the dispute. Creamora kicked digital sand in his face by calling him a stringbean then Ragu challenged him to a physical contest -- weight-lifting or running. That's a lot more exciting than a rehash of the thread.

3. The Big Ragu

Something like that. I'm not much to look at... But the sight of creamora in his spandex outfit will haunt you for eternity if this ever goes down.

4. [​IMG]

Ragu, it's up to you.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My tshirt says 'Sportswriters for Freedom of the Press'....and I do wear it with great pride. Unless you can find fault with that message, so should everyone.

6. creamora

creamora Member

There more important questions than do I "support the message on your T-shirt." Do you fully support the "double dip" investigative technique of Mark Fainaru-Wada after he knew full well that his source was repeatedly committing criminal acts? Do you support selling information for profit to a book publisher that was provided to you by someone who broke the law by doing so? Do you support that fact that the two Chronicle reporters helped a criminal to commit fraud upon a federal court?

creamora

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That was the question you asked, if I wore it with pride; I answered you.

I support the theory that we don't know all the details, and that the reporters and the Chron probably acted within some boundaries that seemed clear and reasonable to them at that time.

Absolutely. It's not a crime to possess the information, and it's not a crime to report it. If it was wrong or unethical to write books using sources that broke the law or acted unethically, you could use the libraries for bowling alleys.

And by the way, newspapers publish for profit.

I don't support any journalist or newspaper helping anyone to commit a fraud upon a federal court. I repeat my earlier response, that we don't know the whole story, and perhaps never will.

More than anything, though, as much as I wish we DID know the whole story, I support the reporters' and the Chron's right to stay silent on this.....the same way I support your right to come to this message board and make broad and defamatory accusations under the veil of anonymity. Freedom of speech for everyone, sir.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Wow. Seriously? That makes their questionable techniques OK? That buys them a pass for being played by a source who was unscrupulous at best?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wingman, I'm not being rude, but this thread has gone on for 24 pages, with much of that debate buried all over the place. I can't go through it all again. My bottom line is that I don't know....Creamora doesn't know (no, stop it, you just don't), and probably no one but the reporters and the Chron know for sure why they made those decisions.

As kindred has pointed out here numerous times, there were likely other sources that might have lessened the impact of the Ellerman leak. I don't believe this is all about Ellerman. And I for sure don't believe that what's been 'reported' on this thread constitutes a factual account of what happened.

So again (God, I am becoming Ragu), I'm not going to to judge what I don't fully understand. Why would you?

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I'll admit I've been avoiding slogging through this entire thread, as the very idea gives me a headache. So I'll withdraw my argument.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wonder if Ragu and 21 should start dating. That way they can sit around talk about this at length.
    Personally this is one of those stories that is a pretty big deal now, but, in the future, will be an even bigger deal. Mostly because of the tactics used by the reporters and editors involved and will be a real headscratcher for future journalism students.
    I can envision the debate...
    Student: I'm a little confused by 2006 and 2007 in our historical studies
    Prof: Go ahead
    Student: So the reporter who paid $2,000 to a source gets an ethics award. The paper who commited fraud on a federal court was honored and other journalists rallied to the defense of the reporters who did the deed. But a Pulitzer-Prize winning reporter gets suspended and taken off his beat because he parked for free, in a free parking lot, and another editor quits because he is dating a girl, who helps someone else do some work for a movie producer.
    Prof: It was an odd time.

12. The Big Ragu

You know this to be true? Damn you're good. They've never even acknowledged that Ellerman was a source, let alone what their dealings with him exactly were. You have no clue how any of it went down, who their other sources were and what ethical (if there were any issues) they had to consider. But as long as you've handed down your verdict...

This thread is bordering on slanderous. The "questionable techniques" are now being cemented as fact in posts such as yours. But we know nothing about any questionable techniques. We don't even know who all their sources were! But leaps of speculation have now turned into certainties among people writing those law review articles and posting on this thread.

What's sad is that what we DO know to be true is that their work has had plenty of opportunity to be discredited by the creamoras of the world. And not one person has been able to impeach the substance of what they reported. Bonds sued--he couldn't even do it on the grounds of libel, given that they apparently got it right. And the suit was dismissed with a lot less bluster than it was brought.

The other things we do know are that they have broken no laws (at least no one has any credible proof that they did) and that they did some serious investigative reporting that brought to light some information that no one else could get their hands on. These guys did some incredible work.

The person who keeps reviving this thread is on a mission to discredit them. It is a personal vendetta of some sort. I'll state my interest in this matter, on the journalistic principle, my thoughts on shield laws, about why reporters need to be able to keep promises to anonymous sources if we expect hard-to-get hidden stories to ever come to light and how the public ultimately benefits from that. I'll be frank about my motivations. What I've been asking for pages is what is motivating creamora to throw every appliance in his house at these reporters and defame them when that doesn't work?

We'll get silence. Just a joke about what a wimp I am, and links to stories that say nothing more than making many of the same leaps of speculation that have now cemented these reporters as conspirators in some kind of criminal matter that never even happened.

It's all so sad.

EDIT: I'm sorry wingman. I didn't mean to pile on. I saw your "withdrawing" post after this...

Draft saved Draft deleted