1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do the Independents feel?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Care Bear, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

So, I'm a registered independent. I vote for the person, generally, not the party. We have a lot of political threads available on this website, so I apologize for adding to all of this. But I'm curious and interested in your thoughts. Anyone here a registered independent and which way are you leaning?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This may be an unrelated question, but doesn't registering as an Independent kind of go against the whole goal of being independent?

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

All I know is that ten years ago, when I registered, I had no freakin' clue which party I wanted to be affiliated with...I was 18. So I selected the Independent party. Figured I had some time to make those decisions. Ten years later...still in the same boat.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

CB: I'm in the same boat as you...

Wasn't there a Richard Pryor movie with the theme, "None of the above?"

I might leave the presidential box blank come November.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For the love of God, why?

In it's typical, screwed up way, the system worked.

The best person running for each party got the nomination. I say that without hesitation. Obama's my guy, but McCain was far and away the best Republican.

If you can't choose between them, you're best off not voting for anything, to be perfectly honest. You're either not engaged or impossible to please.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Every four years we hear the same bullshit from people who say they don't vote for president because they don't have good choices. Please, just stop with the self-pity.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Vote for Bob Barr or Ralph Nadar if you don't like the two main party candidates.

But their lack of choices for quality VP's speaks volumes of the lack of quality people we have to run this country.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Zeke: It's called freedom of choice. I'm going to the polls, as I do every time without exception, and "might" leave the presidential box blank. Then again, perhaps by November, that will change.

If you don't like any of the nags in the race, would you bet, just to say you did?

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Here it's called unenrolled. That's what I am. I didn't vote for either of the major parties' candidates in the last two Presidential elections and I voted for the Democratic candidate for governor in the last election, though I've voted for the Republican for that office on a few occasions.
    As I've said before, if it were McCain against Kerry or Gore in 2004 or 2000, I would have voted for McCain. If it were Obama against Bush, I think you could figure out how I'd vote.
    I've sat out a few elections, too. I'm not very big on the "lesser of two evils" philosophy. I'd rather vote for a candidate I like than against one whom I don't like.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You'll have something riding on it even if you don't bet.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No, for the sake of all things good, DON'T do that.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No one's saying that you don't have the right not to vote.

But honestly, if you can't decide between these two, at this time, we'd all be better off if you just stay home.

Draft saved Draft deleted