1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do reporters face someone (Torre) after they say he should be fired?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigugly, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Do you guys really think Joe Torre keeps track of who called for his firing?

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He worked as an Angels broadcaster, he understands.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd go with:

"Hey, Joe. What's up? That firing thing? Fugudabboutit! I was totally ripped when I wrote that."

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Joe Torre understands the game of baseball and the game of reporting baseball better than most. As someone who has been fired three times, he's totally aware of what our jobs are and knows if we're told something by the team owner, we HAVE to write it, or lose our jobs. He may not be overly friendly with anybody on the beat for awhile, but overall he'll be fine.

And this comes from someone who covered him once (way back when) and had no choice but to write that he was going to be fired.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

madden wrote that torre would be fired unless.... torre knows where the story came from. no problem.

as for the columnists who wrote torre should be fired, i wouldn't think torre gives a darn. he's still here, doing his job. so are the columnists. life goes on.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

There's a big difference saying someone should get fired or will get fired. It's not like the DN was advocating the move. If Torre gets canned, the back page screams, "Say it ain't so, Joe" or "SCAPEGOAT!"

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The same Joe Torre who privately refers to Jon Heyman as "Hymen?" Yes, he reads the clips.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

If this is true, and I doubt it is, it's pretty funny.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And Henry is referring to the thread title and the initial question, in which he asked how REPORTERS would handle it.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

All I know is that if you rip someone or an organization you follow on a beat, make sure you have the cajones to show up the next day to approach your job with the same degree of professionalism you do everyday. Treat him like you always do. If he has a problem with what you wrote, ask him if he wants to talk about it, and stick by what you wrote. But do not go hidding off in the corner somewhere, avoiding all eye contact.

Draft saved Draft deleted