1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do reporters face someone (Torre) after they say he should be fired?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigugly, Oct 12, 2006.

1. bigugly

bigugly Member

I must confess that I have been thinking about that since it was said that he would be back. How would a beat writer face him. I am sure it's not like Torre will act like all is well and would it kill the ability of the beat writer? Please discuss all you people who are much smarter then me.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

very carefully

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Come at him from the side. Bring doughnuts.

4. e4

e4 Member

buy him dinner from subway?

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

if i'm torre, i don't give two shits about the media. i have my friends who i give stuff to and the rest of the crowd are just nuisances i have to deal with. but i got the last laugh: $7 million in laughter.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Torre and guys like him are -- for the most part -- aware of the game and how it is played and get over this kind of thing in a hurry. They'll make a crack about it, but usually grudges aren't held.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tell him how funny the line is in Ball Four, when Jim Bouton talks about how one of the player's girlfriends looked "kind of like a Joe Torre with tits." Should be a laugh riot.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bill Madden has two faces, so he'll just use the other one.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The real answer is, actual beat writers shouldn't be calling for managers to get fired.

That's a job for the columnist.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey Joe do do do you remember when I said you should be fired? That was cool. Umm...umm...did that happen?

[​IMG]

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I dealt with Torre during previous gigs for both of us. He knows how it works and has for a long time. I doubt it's a concern for him.

There was a quote from him after it was announced he was staying in which he said that when you work for Steinbrenner, you don't get to pick and choose how it is, you have to take the whole deal, good and bad.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Madden is a baseball columnist.

Draft saved Draft deleted