1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I respond nicely to this parent?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cadet, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maybe I am missing something, but she worked at your paper?

2. Taylee

Taylee Member

At previous stop, the new publisher said we needed to do a story on her son's youth baseball team, which had done nothing spectacular.
    SE's objection was noted, then over-ruled by said publisher and newbie EE, who stood upright despite the lack of a spine, and story ran. My plans to leave already were set. SE, whose career goal was to be SE at that paper, quit a few months later.

3. My humble apologies, sir. Just one cancerous testicle. But you should still finish on his grille.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Just playing devil's advocate here, but what was your SE or EE supposed to do if their boss overruled him?

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Dear U-19 soccer dad who is in dire need of perspective:

Here, drink this. What is it, you ask? A nice, seaming cup of STFU.

Sincerely,

Cadet

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At one paper I worked at a clerk took results of a club championship in golf in which the publisher participated.

He spelled the publisher's name wrong.

That was fun.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

If you can't beat the fat-assed, waddling mom up the stairs, you have other issues :)

8. moonlight

moonlight Member

We have a weekly page devoted to kids' sports. We run team photos and action shots our photogs take during games. We also sell ads on the page, which bring in a couple more dollars each week. And it's a great place to put information we normally would cringe before running. Sometimes we'll run line scores from little league games or standings from other leagues.

That's one solution.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Many people work hard and get paid less than people who work less hard.

Networks decline to air pilots produced by hard-working people.

Hard work does not guarantee coverage or interest. Sorry.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Yeah. No one will want his hamburgers or BBQ chicken after that.

11. Taylee

Taylee Member

What the EE should have done was explained ethics to her. He didn't. Had he and my entire bitch would have been with the publisher. But he cowered.
    The new publisher came from the business side and in her opening speech said that she didn't know much about the news side ("I'll be learning it, though.") and would leave news decisions to the "experts." SE reminded the EE of this. EE did nothing. SE reminded publisher of this and added the basic arguments that it was a conflict of interest for her to demand that we do this and that if we did a story on her team we would be setting ourselves up for criticism "warranted criticism," he said.
    She still made us to do it. I think she was high from the recent power surge she enjoyed. SE fought it even after the page was designed when the publisher came up to proof it (only time I saw her do that); EE didn't. I still respect the SE and still would piss on the EE if I had the opportunity.

12. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

aside from the gallon of STFU that he should drink, just tell them that while they are free to submit what they want, you are well within your right to run what you want in the paper (followed by bullshit of space concerns, etc.)

funny how this is a job where we work with people everyday, yet it makes you hate them all. ironic.

Draft saved Draft deleted