1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I respond nicely to this parent?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cadet, Mar 21, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

That's the best way to handle it.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'd expect this from U12 soccer, but not U19. These players are not kids. This shit must stop.

Good luck.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

One of the best complaints we got was from a Little League parent complaining that one game writeup in agate-sized type was four lines long, but her kid's game was only three lines long.

4. Jor El

Jor El Guest

Now there's something you don't read everyday.

5. WS

WS Member

Two strong American Legion baseball teams in our area. Coaches despise each other, a lot of the kids are friends with each other but there's some that aren't, and the parents want to kill each other.

In the state legion tournament, which is hosted in our area by one of the teams, the "historically dominant" team loses when we have the photographer there, and the "other" team wins, when he is shooting assignments for news. No way in hell should a photographer be there for 7 hours of legion ball.

The next day, when "other team" wins, we have a photo there. But wait, it's a SQUARE INCH smaller than the picture of the "historically dominant" team's the day before.

How do I know this? Parent of the "other team" sends me a typewritten letter (not signed) with the measurements and the articles cut out, telling me I'm biased. Yeah, since I've lived here just a year and a half to that point.

Funny how I don't get much related to the mid-major team I cover , but am bombarded with crap regarding American Legion baseball. I hate the organization and the old farts that run it around the country.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

depending on which fuckage you speak of sir, the finale must be referred to as: fuck him in the ass with a cancerous testicle.

remember, this is a journalism site. we do have standards.

7. sartrean

sartrean Member

I'm getting sick of this too. At a game last night, dipshit, ugly fatass mom waddles over to me as I'm walking up the stairs to the press box.

"How come you don't cover the girls softball team."

"Mam, I'm a part-timer, I go where my editors tell me to go."

"Well, the girls work just as hard as the boys. The girls deserve some credit, too."

"Aren't they like 3-13?"

"But they work hard. They should be able to get an article, too."

"I think you've got the wrong idea about newspapers."

"How's that?" she asked.

"Papers provide information, not rewards or recognition. Most people who are quoted in the paper would rather not be quoted in the newspaper. In some cases, people lose their jobs for talking to newspaper reporters. And sometimes, this applies to athletic programs as well. But for the softball team, I'm just a part-timer and I go where my editor tells me to go. Maybe you should take it up with them."

"I wish the old sports writer, Mr. Sartre, would come back. He cared about the girls. He wrote up articles on the girls almost every week because he cared about how hard they work."

"Lady, I'm Mr. Sartre. They fired me only to rehire me as a part-timer."

"Oh."

What a friggin' idiot.

8. Taylee

Taylee Member

Few years back, had a lady who would send me updates on inch counts, comparing coverage of rival schools. After several of these packets of papers and letters, she finally called.
    I asked her how she knew about some of the journalistic wisdom of which she wrote and spoke.
    "Oh, I worked at a paper for about 10 years."
    One of the few times I've said what I really felt to a pissed parent.
    "If you worked in this business, then you know what kind of idiot you are."
    Never got another update, letter, call. Neither did anyone else, including upper management.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Ouch, I dislike that solution more than the problem. The last thing I want is a rigid team photo, particularly when the team hasn't done anything significant. Plus, there's nothing like a photo of one team to get 20 other parents calling for their teams' photos to go in.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree this isn't the ideal solution, but it will work at my paper.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

At my last paper, we had a lady whose son was a wrestler come to us and tell us we weren't giving school X as much coverage as school y. We really liked hearing in-house from our own people.

We made sure he never got his picture in the paper, which she noticed.

Draft saved Draft deleted