1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how do i make a veteran meet deadline without being a jerk?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EGM67, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

House ad, anything. Next time, the fucking guy won't miss deadline.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's not a guarantee. Again, the advice everyone is giving is great. However, the bottom line is if the guy can't cut it, he's got to be reassigned or terminated. Otherwise he is dead weight and make no mistake about it, if his blowing deadline isn't addressed, it won't be long before others do the same.

3. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

My first thought was, how long are these stories he's writing? I wouldn't be surprised if a veteran, especially if it's a smaller paper, were trying to get away with writing 20 inches or more.

If that's a problem, in addition to reminding the guy of deadline, give him a more firm length limit as well. Nothing worse than getting a story that's five inches too long a half-hour later than it should have arrived.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It seems that the smaller a paper is, the longer the gamers are.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a college kid who worked as a stringer at one of the papers I worked at who was nicknamed "House Ad" because of his inability to make deadline.

After about three failed attempts, they had to send him out to events that were much, much earlier in the day.

Why was he still working for us? His parents were friends with the publisher. :)

6. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

again, thanks for all the advice.

i shot him an email this morning reminding him of the deadline. this week, if he doesn't have his stuff in something else is going in place of it. i am also sending him to a game that should finish earlier than the other games.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, it's a jerk in whose eyes? His for making him be on time or yours because you feel bad?

8. Mizzougrad96

As someone who has had to file a running story from almost every baseball, basketball and football game I've ever covered, I have zero sympathy for people blowing deadline.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Tell him that the deadline is 30 minutes before you absolutely have to have it.

10. Mizzougrad96

Another good ploy that usually works.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not for 20-year veterans.

12. Mizzougrad96

At the Super Bowl a few years back I was eating with a bunch of co-workers and one of our columnists, who was notorious for filing at the very last second, was bitching about his deadline, which was 45 minutes before the rest of us. One of the younger guys didn't know any better and blurted out "Really? I don't have to be in until 11:30." As our columnist walked off in a huff, we turned to the other writer and said, "You are so dead."

It was quite amusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.