1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I handle this one?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Nov 7, 2008.

1. OK, I'm curious what the level-headed posters at sj think about this moral quandary.

My annual pay increase was due in mid-October, but the man responsible for approving that for me was out of town for about a week, then really, really (my words for what he would say if challenged about this) busy.

Oct. 29 Publisher says there is a company-wide freeze on pay raise increases.

ME says to me, your anniversary date is two weeks before freeze, we should be able to get you in.

Today he says "Uh, ummm, that thing ... it doesn't look like the company's going to approve it."

Never does he admit any culpability. Never says sorry. Says he yelled and screamed at publisher but to no avail. He suggests we go talk to publisher together.

Now, I know why we have to go together. He wants to make sure I don't throw him under the bus and then back over him. I've not done that yet ... but it is on my to-do list at this point. I've not challenged him yet on how this happened, because I know. Anniversary dates are frequently missed (and yes I should have reminded him about it), but there has never been a problem in the past with awarding these retroactively. Also, I am a department head, and I think I was within about a week for all the increases I had to award.

I'm planning to go to the publisher by myself to discuss this. Just curious to see what the board's attitudes are on this one. And if they have any friendly advice.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You have to go to the publisher alone. Just explain the situation politely and don't completely throw the moron under the bus. Admit he may have been busy. But you have to be heard. It's all we have left. We have to go down fighting amidst all the assholes in management. Keep us posted.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I get to be the first to say it this time!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. renaldo

renaldo New Member

Two letters -- H R

A trip to the publisher and the human resources department should straighten this out. It's completely unfair if a person got a pay raise on Oct. 29 and you didn't after Oct. 30.

You won't be alone in this fight, either. Anyone with a pay raise due post-Oct. 30 will be extremely pissed that pre-Oct. 30 workers did get a raise.

Be aware, though, that it may turn into something kooky like everyone pre-Oct. 30 may have their raises taken away.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

You're totally at the publisher's mercy here, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't fight the good fight. Just like when you're dealing with sources, you have to let people know that you will not stand for being bullied, taken advantage of or lied to.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Exactly, method. You gotta go down fighting. Assuming we are all going down, you got to fight for what's right.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So do you think your boss really "yelled and screamed" at the publisher?

I would talk to the publisher alone, give it your best shot and not expect too much.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Had that happen once years ago. Pled my case with the publisher, and the out was a promotion (tho on a two-man staff it wasn't much of a promotion; name only). I got the raise.

Draft saved Draft deleted