1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I break back into sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pantherprowl, Oct 3, 2008.

1. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

I saw the college beats post on this board, so I hope it's the right place for this one (apologies if it isn't) ...

Graduated in April, took a summer internship at a national magazine as a copy editor, agreed to stay on through August 2009 while working weekends at the major metro here (taking HS boxes and doing agate) ...

What's the best way to get back into sports after stringing, having good metro internships and working at a college paper prior to these new gigs? Is it even worth it, or should I try to stay on at the mag as a politics, national/world news, education, health or business writer?

I really want to cover college hoops eventually.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Use connections with major metro to find out what sports gigs are open. Most aren't advertised and an editor at a major metro should have a line at what other papers are hiring.

Draft saved Draft deleted