1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Canadians abbreviate dates?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by McNuggetsMan, Jan 12, 2011.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm rather interchangeable, except at work. There it's 1/16/2011.

I have plenty of friends from across the pond and I've used some British/Canadian spellings in my writing at an online forum frequented by people from several countries across the world. I've also used the British date convention, so I've used D/M/Y before.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I want to say there's three in Edmonton as well. I wouldn't go out of my way to call it Italian either. But it's decent none the less.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm sure they do.

But what if someone asked you when is your birthday? Assuming it's today, would you say it's the 16th of January, or would you say it's January 16?

Even better - what's your date of birth? Staying with the above example, would you say it's the 16th of January, 19-whatever, or would you say it's January 16, 19-whatever?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They get in the position where they could both watch the game, but there's no hockey on.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

6. T2

T2 Member

For computer files I usually use the order year/month/day, as in 2011/01/17. Reason? If I have a column of such dates, they can be easily sorted in numerical order, ascending or descending, without having to rearrange anything. Of course, this wouldn't do for publication because it's contrary to usual practice.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

"Sotto Sotto" is indeed still open and, I think, still one of the celeb watching hot spots during TIFF.

Draft saved Draft deleted