1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How different is INdesign as opposed to QuarkXPress?

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by roxraidersfan, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It wasn't easy, I can assure you that. I started the biz in Quark, so it was like learning how to crawl again after riding in a Ferrari for the last two years. Hopefully I can get back to a run and make things look good.

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Just made the switch from Quark 4 to InDesign CS3 today. Anybody know how to convert quark templates into InDesign templates? Is there a quick and easy way to do this? (and no, don't say "have composing do it)

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Can you even do this? I've tried opening Quark files in InDesign, and it won't let me.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You should be able to. You just have to change the file type on the open menu to a .qxd document.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thank you, Doc.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No prob, Wicked. I have to keep reciting my ID knowledge before I forget it. It's been three months since I've used it. Fuckabuncha Quark. :mad:

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I just downloaded CS3 -- it will only let you open Quark documents from versions 3.3.x to 4.1.x. The document I had was Quark 7.3, so I wasn't able to open it.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

How did you download it? Not that I'm ... ummm ... interested or anything ...

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Downloaded the trial version from Adobe's Web site. Maybe if it were a permanent version, I could crack open later Quark files, though I don't know why they'd disable that feature (out of a bunch of others) only in the trial version.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Oh, yeah, if you wanted a version, I'm sure you could find it on utorrent -- that is, if you were into downloading such programs on others' dimes. (This behavior doesn't have the Wicked Seal of Approval, FWIW -- boots will have to speak for himself on issuing/denying his seal.)

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Certainly not ...

12. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Is there a list of what newspapers use Quark and what newspapers use InDesign?

Draft saved Draft deleted