1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How different is INdesign as opposed to QuarkXPress?

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by roxraidersfan, Jun 16, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You may be able to set InDesign to use Quark-styled menu commands. Might help.

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

It was mentioned earlier on this thread, but it deserves a second mention. Runarounds are soooo much easier with inDesign. It's a one-click thing. God bless.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Quark sucks floppity donkey cock compared to InDesign.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

training? oh that comes the first or second week of september - a freakin month after the switch!!!!!

i had never even opened an indesign document before friday morning.

things went a lot better today (monday) but i'm sticking with basic design for a while, nothing fancy.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I must be a donkey then. Quark does a lot more for me than InDesign does.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I just downloaded a trial version of Quark 7.3. The thing seems to have plenty of bells and whistles. I'm curious as to what versions of Quark and inDesign Canuck has used. Segue from inDesign 5 to Quark 7, and I am sure there's a reason to like Quark more.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

It all depends on what version you get. I was part of a committee looking into both for upgrading and what I saw in the fully-loaded Indesign blew the fully-loaded Quark away.
    Like anything with options, it really increases the cost, but we looked at getting a few top-end Indesigns for high-end designers and the basic for daily pages.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Went from InDesign CS2 to Quark 4.1 recently. InDesign was on a Mac, Quark is on a PC. Talk about shock. I went from designing pages that I would feel comfortable sending to contests to feeling like I was designing pages for the first time again. I weep and beg that we make the shift soon, at least to an updated version of Quark.
    If I had the choice, we'd overhaul the whole system. Macs and CS2 all around!
    Viva la Adobe Revolution!

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

still in the early stages of switch from quark to indesign and as far as the basics, it really hasn't been a big deal like i feared. there are different tools to get used to and haven't tried anything outlandish design-wise but after a couple of iffy days, i'm pretty comfortable.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How do you make a switch like that? It's like making the conscious decision to change from 2005 to 1999.

I'm not a designer--but I am very familiar with both Quark and InDesign and in the last year I have done more design work myself than I used to. Last version of Quark we've used was 6.5. It was OK, but really just because it is what we knew. We had made the jumps from 4 to 5 to 6. Everyone kept telling us to go Adobe and we put it off. But when we finally did, the switch to InDesign CS2 was fairly easy and the program is just a ton better. It integrates with Illustrator and Photoshop much better, too. Only question now is when to upgrade to CS3.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

InDesign is a four letter word!!!

The thing I hate about it is it takes four stes to do something in InDesign I culd do in two with Quark. I always found Quark to be much more user friendly for basic page layout.

Now for advance graphics, etc., I'm sure it's better.

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I started with Quark 3.3 I believe, used 4.11 for quite a few years, and now I'm using 6. I bought InDesign 1.0 and I've been working with CS and CS2 more recently I believe. I just find Quark easier to use, but then, I never was a big Aldus/Adobe user.

Draft saved Draft deleted