1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How different is INdesign as opposed to QuarkXPress?

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by roxraidersfan, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

The guy that trained us made us lay out a fake page, then he came up behind someone and yanked the power cord out of the Mac mini, causing a stir. The suspender-wearing freak then leaned back after plugging the computer back in and watched as the page opened back up at the point in which he yanked the cable... A wave of awe fell over the room, and I felt confident at finally throwing our old computer out the window for crashing on us five times that week.

2. John Hancock

John Hancock New Member

Quark-Indesign

Another nice feature in InDesign for former Quark users is a quick key default that allows you to use the QuarkXPress quick key set as your InDesign quick keys. If you're going from Quark on a mac to InDesign on a PC, there are some small variations (the absence of the apple key), but, for the most part, it's spot on.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Re: Quark-Indesign

please tell me this secret key!

we're making the switch from quark to indesign in the near future. i'm sure I'll be lauded as the office hero if I know this secret!

4. John Hancock

John Hancock New Member

Re: Quark-Indesign

There's a preferences window, or maybe "quick keys" window that allows you to manually set quick keys for different functions, but also allows you to use the quarkxpress set as your default. I'll take a look later and find out specifically where it's at.

5. John Hancock

John Hancock New Member

Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts >Set drop down menu > Shortcuts for QuarkXPress4

Be sure to do this without any pages open though, or else it'll only apply to that page, rather than anytime you open the program.

6. WSKY

WSKY Member

Hankcock you're the man. I may be the hit of the newsroom with that knowledge.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm saving the knowledge until we switch. but it'll be the same thing here.

8. LukeKnox

LukeKnox Member

There's a talk about this over at VisualEditors.com, mentioning some of what's said here and generally going in the pro-InDesign direction (which I would totally agree with myself): http://www.visualeditors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5443

9. King_Cecil

King_Cecil Member

Is there anywhere I can purchase a demo of InDesign so I can practice it without having to drop the $700 or whatever it costs on the full program?

edit: Nevermind, found a free 30-day trial on the Adobe Web site. Now I just need to find some tutorials.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

It seems that there are a ton of papers making the switch to InDesign from Quark, so the real question is, how is quark dealing with this? Will it survive?

11. I thought they had stopped making new versions of Quark.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought they just released a new version of Quark last year? It allowed more than one person to work on a page at once, IIRC.

Draft saved Draft deleted