1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did your paper play the David Beckham signing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The subject line pretty much says it all.

Was it played on A1? Your sports cover? Inside? Did you have anything staff written? Did any columnists weigh in on it? If so, what did they write?

I work parttime for a weekly and fulltime for a daily news organization I cannot fully describe without being "outed," so all I can say is that the weekly won't be doing anything on it and I was among two people who wrote a 1,200-word-plus story on the signing.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Page 4, 8 inches in a one-column hole.

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

We don't ever have anything on MLS, but apparently this was big enough to grace the front page of sports. My guess, we'll still not have anything on MLS anytime soon.

4. Wow

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We ran story and art on page 2 where we put the big national news of the day.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Blowout refer on A1. Blowout centerpiece on sports front. 8)

7. Not sure how we did. I'm still waiting for the paper to be delivered. :mad:

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Tease from the front, it ran on the inside, a 7.5" main story, a 12.5" column/analysis thing (both wire) and a small photo.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Jeez, you guys really went all out...

I'm guessing if he were coming to playing for the local Jefferson High Prep-sters it would have been cover of news and sports.

10. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

A sports cover column and small graphic. $250 million lavished by the MLS on a guy past his prime is big news, at least to our readers and our strong soccer base here.

11. accguy

accguy Member

bottom of the sports cover. probably 15 inch wire story.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

my metro had the wire story on the bottom of page 7 or 9. It was last inside page before you hit the agate. I just don't remember if it was an 8 or 10 page section.
    But the story and photo had the look of something filling space.

Draft saved Draft deleted