1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did THIS make it to print?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GoTeamGo, Aug 30, 2009.

1. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

This is such a terrible story. Obviously we feel remorse for the coach who died, but knowing a good story from a bad story it's difficult not to chuckle or at least say, "Oh shit!" when you read the first sentence.

ATTALLA — Lincoln left Jim Glover Field with a 26-7 victory over Etowah Friday night that no one could celebrate because the Golden Bears head coach Keith Howard died.

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20090828/NEWS/908289986/1024/SPORTS?Title=Coach-s-death-overshadows-Lincoln-win

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Re: Worst story about a death ever?

OK, it's obviously a smaller paper, but how dumb and insensitive do you have to be to combine the death of the coach with a fucking game story? Looks like a stringer covered the game, but even if he took that approach on his own, doesn't some adult have to step in and do it the right way?

Absolutely awful.

And in what world do they play the game after one of the coaches collapses? Did they still have the halftime show and the 50-50 raffle?

This is scary for a multitude of reasons.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

The writer should never be allowed to write again. The editor who let it go through should have been fired on the spot.

The thread title should be The Worst Story Ever written.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Imagine his lede for the Apr. 14, 1865 performance of "Our American Cousin."

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

So how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I wonder why the sports editor -- or anybody else -- did not make the call to write at least a couple grafs as a breakout, so as not to awkwardly combine the gamer with the news of the coach's death.

You just have to break it out. No way you can allow these two grafs to stand back-to-back, and I don't care what your deadline situation is:

Hard for me to blame the stringer, because I have no doubt he didn't have a clue what to do. (Not his call to make anyway, as far as how it runs.) But an editor has to take charge here and it looks like nobody did.

Looks like a lot of people -- some of whom should have known better -- panicked on the first night of the season.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's clear he's covering the 'other' team in this equation, so he's probably not at all familiar with the opposing program, coaching staff, administration, etc. But that's really the only defense one can muster for the guy, and it's not much of one.

A much lesser, but still headdesk-inducing, error on another of the stories:

GLENCOE – Glencoe head coach Lee Ozmint scoffed at the idea he had a “win won for the Gipper” type speech at halftime.

But I guess we all know Friday nights can make us do crazy things.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Didn't Lewis Grizzard have a funny line very similar to this lead? I can't find it on Google.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Also wondering if anyone at the office, no matter if your sports, news, features or sudouku cross-checker, didn't have a ear at least half-listening to the police scanner? Been in that situation a couple of times where I'd hear a call for more medical help at the football field and called the reporter or shooter on scene to see if it's something to worry about. If it's serious, I'll have the night reporter contact the fire dept and/or the hospital, or, if there's not one scheduled, I'll check with the news desk and see who makes the calls.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are we sure there wasn't an A1 story on the coach, and this was just the straight (well straight as possible under the circumstances) gamer?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Based on other coverage I've read, the coach started feeling badly and quietly climbed into the ambulance before the game without telling his team (though he did tell his assistant coaches). They didn't find out he had died until the fourth quarter.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the running backs' last names was Howard, same as the coach. Wonder if that's his son?

Draft saved Draft deleted