1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did this get by unnoticed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I almost want to believe her lame excuse now.........Journey?

2. IU90

IU90 Member

Thank you, I thought the same thing and wondered if was missing something.

The reaction here seems a bit over the top to me. Something really stupid happened here, that's all, not something driven by malice or actual racist intent. An antiquated term slipped into print because the writer and editor were too young, naive, and dumb to realize the term had a racist connotation. Anyone believe this would've happened if they knew it did? Mock em for being dumb, but this certainly isn't an Imus type transgression and the talk about the need for punishment strikes me as self-righteous silliness. Its not that big of a deal.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A-friggin-men.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I think they've been lucky the reaction hasn't been greater and this has essentially flown under the radar. It's a pretty nasty derogatory term that would normally carry harsher consequences. Whether unintentional or not wouldn't even factor into it.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Dude shouldn't be fired, but the desk should definitely hear about it. Cannot let stuff like that through. The writer needed to be smarter, but the desk is the ultimate arbiter . . except when you have one of those columnists whose main claim to being big-time is that he can't be edited.

And, as I always do on these threads, I'd like to reiterate my shock and amusement that some people here whose job and mandate is to know and use the English language in a creative way, actually have yet another word they had no idea had racist connotations.

There's "I come from a different part of the country! I had a different upbringing!" and there's "Yup . . . I live under a rock."

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

To whoever asked about Barkley...

I believe it was during the original Dream Team days, when someone asked Barkley why he threw an elbow at an Angola player, and he said something like "He could have pulled a spear on me."

I believe it was before that game when someone asked Barkley what he knew about Angola, and he said not much "except that Angola's in trouble."

7. boots

boots New Member

It hasn't gone unnoticed or under the radar. Nationally, people are upset about the remark and have demanded action.
    But the Sun has other problems and are hoping this is forgotten very quickly.
    The kid and the desk should be reprimanded for this getting in the paper. Was it an honest mistake? Perhaps but it was one that should've been caught, especially on a desk as "seasoned" as the Sun.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

Can you give us a link substantiating this claim?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but maybe the writer was just used to covering the Redskins beat.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Or javelin tosses?

Draft saved Draft deleted