1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did this get by unnoticed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Too bad there's not a place, say like a series of tubes with information moving through them, to find out what the term meant before publishing it.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wow. I'm 42, a student of WW II and I've never heard that term used in the context used by this columnist. Don't people get fired for less than this?

The term is appalling to use in any context, save that of Chevy Chase and the late Richard Pryor on the aforementioned (and hilarious) SNL skit.

But I have another story to bore tell my J-100 class in the fall.

3. boots

boots New Member

It's the Sun. It should know better.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unless the desk edited it in, it's the writer's fault. Ideally, the desk would have saved the writer from himself, though.

I noticed the writer apologizing in the paper. I didn't see where any copy editors joined in the apologizing.

5. boots

boots New Member

The whole department should apologize. This guy was stupid to use the line. The desk was stupid enough to let it get by. In the end, they are the sports department. If one falls, they all fall.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ran into another one of these a few years back when a column came across my desk. Guy used "tar baby" in its original usage -- as something that you're trying to free yourself from, but getting increasingly stuck to.

His usage was not even close to the definition that it's become, but we excised that sumbitch tout suite.

"Yes, writer, you're correct. But, let us save ourselves some headaches, alright?"

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, the whole department didn't apologize.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

H
    So if the baseball manager was upset and went out to get some air and smoke a cigarette and your writer said he went to have a faggot and a blow he'd argue that his usage was absolutely correct.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Billy Packer would agree.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Well, no, since we're not a Brit newspaper.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I was hoping someone would notice that who that was.

And wasn't there a senator or congressmen who used the word "niggardly" on the floor during a speech once? I mean, even if the word you use has a differnt meaning than what the connotation is, shouldn't you have sense enough to know not to use it? Christ almighty.

Draft saved Draft deleted