1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did this get by unnoticed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is another example of a thread title that tells you absolutely nothing about the content.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm 31, white and from the Midwest by way of Texas. Never heard that used, even by my horribly racist grandmother.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well ... if that's the case, that a young guy wrote it ... do any of you think jumping off a cliff over it just perpetuates the term, gives it identity?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great call dools.

5. boots

boots New Member

What's even more fucked up is THE NEXT DAY, Brit Hume called Fred Thompson a spearchucker! Damn!

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I've heard that term with reference to native Canadians in the past. I just can't see that phrase ever coming out of my vocabulary otherwise even though, it's certainly not every day slang in many areas.

7. boots

boots New Member

It was a funny bit. I think it ends something like this.
    Chevy: "Spearchucker"
    Rich: "Peckerwood"
    Chevy: "Nigger"
    Rich: "Dead Peckerwood."
    CLASSIC STUFF. The facial expressions were outfuckingstanding.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Great sketch. Pryor nailed it, especially with his last three comebacks to the word-association game Chase initiated.

"Honky!" (offended)

"Honky honky!" (outraged)

"DEAD honky." (frighteningly serious)

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75ginterview.phtml

9. boots

boots New Member

I might have been mistaken but it was funny. This column, unfortunately, wasn't funny.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I live in rural Alberta where growing up native jokes were a past time, especially in the dressing room at the rink - not me so much, but I heard more than I care to remember - and not once have I ever heard the term spearchucker

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No, the column certainly wasn't funny. I agree the sketch was. Funny in an awkward sort of way.

I'm stunned the reference in the column got through the editing process -- and that it was written in the first place.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Hate to sound like a scold, but you don't have to be a thousand years old to know what certain words from other times mean. That's what books are for. A mistake like this doesn't necessarily prove to me that the writer and his desk are young - it proves to me that they don't read.

Draft saved Draft deleted