1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did I not know this!???!! Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Apr 3, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Mayonnaise is made with eggs. I learned this only just before the condiment thread started.

3. DanOregon

I didn't realize Imus retired last week. I realize he's been in decline for a while (and he's 77 at that) but still.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sto lat!

Big, big holiday in WNY, which has one of the largest populations of Polish descent in the country. Well-covered by the Buffalo News.

The Buffalo News – The Buffalo News is Western New York's No. 1 news source, providing in-depth, up to the minute news. The Buffalo News brings you breaking news and the latest in local news, sports, business, politics, opinion and entertainment from around Buffalo and Western New York.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

As God is my witness, I have never been more shocked by a single sentence.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I thought "How did I not know about this?" several times while watching the Wild Wild Country documentary on Netflix. A weird cult essentially tries to take over an entire county in Oregon in the early 80's. I highly recommend it.

7. DanOregon

I'd never heard about the Durst story outlined in The Jinx, but then realized much of it took place right after 9/11.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Adam Carolla would (very) often joke about people who were "lucky" 9/11 happened because it distracted from their personal scandals. I think two of the examples were Gary Condit and Paula Poundstone.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Early 80s new wave band, missing persons, were almost all former members of various Frank Zappa lineups.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Has this not been on SJ.com somewhere?

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

What did you think it was made of before?

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I never thought about it, as I don't go near the stuff. My father ate bread with just mayo. He called them "grease sandwiches." Grossed me out. I guess I thought it was something like Crisco. Which might not be far from the truth, except, apparently, it contains eggs.

I was out at a restaurant somewhere recently and there was squeeze mayo on the table. I couldn't read the label but it had a picture of an egg, and I pondered it aloud and whoever I was with said, "yeah, they're made with eggs." No clue. I've polished furniture with it, but the thought of using straight, congealed "grease" as a condiment nauseates me.

Basically, I've never gone close enough to the crap to figure it out, although I do remember my mom warning us to not eat leftover coleslaw that had been out in the sun because it had mayonnaise in it. Not that I would have touched coleslaw because it has mayonnaise in it.

Live and learn. I'm at a point where I'll eat mayo mixed with something, like garlic aoli, but straight? Heck, no.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Big Circus and HC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted