1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did Bin Laden news affect pagination at your paper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, May 1, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curious to know how many people from "the offices" showed up tonight at your place of work.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

All A1s should've been shredded. Deadlines should've been missed. Biggest news in 9 1/2 years.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I didn't receive a single call. I was shocked.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

One. The newsroom and this is a big newspaper didn't even bring in any reporters. Sunday is a day where the newsroom is morgue-like and it remained that way Sundaynight. I don't know what the higher up was doing. I know he was meddling some.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

I had the pleasure of redoing the front page (I'm the SE). Everything above the fold on Page 1 above the fold was done by yours truly.

I even called the publisher at home at midnight and recommended add to our press run tonight in anticipation of selling many extra copies in the a.m. He couldn't agree fast enough.

Felt great to actually feel like a real newspaper guy again.

Unfortunately, those guys seem like a thing of the distant past.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Congrats! Quite the feeling, I'm sure. Very cool.

7. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I went back to the pressroom around 11:30 to see if they had been instructed to run more copies for the expected surge in demand.

They hadn't heard anything of the sort. I then went up front to the newsroom and saw that our ME had come in to oversee things. He said he'd talked to our operations manager and was told we'd have extra copies printed.

So, whether this actually happens is anyone's guess.

I really hope we don't drop the ball on this one.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had to do that when Gerald Ford died.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

1 a.m. first edition (1:30 late), 2 a.m. replate, three hours' sleep on newsroom couch, 10 a.m. EXTRA! edition in progress. Very proud of this place.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just scanning Newseum and of the 700 or so newspaper fronts, I'd guess about 690 had bin Laden dead as the lead story.

The ones that didn't all look to be very local papers and no AP wire but a couple of notable exceptions. South Carolina's The State had nothing about bin Laden while the Birmingham News had a front page, two column reefer but tornado damage was the lead.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

apparently Newseum is getting a lot of web traffic this morning. I can't get the page linked above to load.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Almost our entire front page was dedicated to PJPII beatification with some local periphery down at the bottom. As the news became clearer as to what had happened, we began the redesign process. And by the time it was confirmed, we had completely shredded 1A and started from scratch.

Pope got shoved inside with everything else, and the entire front was Osama. I felt kinda like a fifth wheel at times (I think my biggest contribution was dumping my sports pages and getting out of the way for all the news pages that had to be resent).

Probably more impressive than anything else was that the whole thing only delayed the presses by about an hour.

That said, last night was a great reminder of why we do what we do. Being in a newsroom with this kind of late, breaking news is a unique experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted