1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did Bin Laden news affect pagination at your paper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, May 1, 2011.

1. Illino

Illino Member

I don't work at a daily, so I wasn't in an office putting together a paper tonight, but I bet there are some interesting stories from some folks out there who had to shred Page 1A or more.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What's that site with all the newspaper layouts?

3. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/default.asp

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I'm in the magazine business now, but Mrs. Hack works at a very large metro daily (for one more week, anyway). She was scheduled to leave at midnight tonight. Now she isn't. Her departure time is TBD ... I think the final edition is off the floor a little after 1 a.m. EDT, and I suspect there will be some chases.

She says she won't miss this aspect of the business.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Significant effect here, but we always go into any night with a Plan B.

Obviously the lead story. We're stitching together a longer story from AP too-short (so far) lead and some material from McClatchy.

Deadline in about 5 mins.

Thank goodness for Twitter, where we learned at 9 p.m. that something was afoot.

6. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Thanks, Eagle.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I posted some general info on the main thread about tearing up A1 for this. I live for this shit. I wish every night was like this.

8. Three of our four news designers routinely get the paper done and leave between 9:30 and 10 on Sunday nights. Tonight, it just so happened that the one guy who doesn't leave early was here. He walked over around 10:30 tonight and said something was up, and he was able to move some things around and get about 8 inches of story into the paper before our deadline.

He offered to completely rebuild A-1 so this was the biggest thing we had on the page, but the publisher said no, and the 8-inch story would do for now.

I was kind of disappointed there was still someone here in news. Thought it would be cool to be the guy to break down the cover and create the bin Laden is dead page. That'd be a neat story to tell my kids someday.

9. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Amen!

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Lot of people will be buying newspapers in the morning.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

For this reason, I'm surprised we're not hearing more of front pages being completely torn up.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

In a world where many newspapers are no longer being printed on site (meaning you don't have control of when the press stops and starts) and copy desks are consolidated (meaning we're not tearing up 1A, we're tearing up three or five or six 1As), one guesses that the historical "oomph" of many of tomorrow's local newspapers is going to be greatly reduced.

Draft saved Draft deleted