1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How dependent are you on technology?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Dec 6, 2008.

?

Um...how dependent are you on technology?

1. I am completely lost as a human being without my cell phone, Tivo, GPS and internet.

38.1%
  2. I use a lot of technology, but I could survive without most of it.

54.8%
  3. I could take it or leave it.

4.8%
  4. I refuse to join Facebook, but order things online.

2.4%
  5. I still have a rotary-dial phone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gonna be a big, big question over the next few years, as cable TV, internet access, and cell phones go away for a lot of people.

Everybody loves their electronic toys, but they love to eat more, and for a lot of people, that's the choice they will have to make.

My bet is that pay phones make somewhat of a comeback in the next 5 years.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm like IJAG: I don't memorize anyone's phone numbers anymore. If I ever lose my phone for any reason, I'm pretty much screwed.

And unless I'm dating someone (lol ...) I don't talk on the phone much. I text a lot more than I do anything, and I use AIM and MSN Messenger on my phone most of the time.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's an insult but I have no idea what "noob" means.

I apologize for screwing up the quote function

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

noob = new person

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm very techno-dependent, except for GPS, which I hate. I don't have a Facebook account, but I'm thinking of getting it. The crackberry is with me pretty much everywhere but the shower. Damn non-waterproof crackberries!

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm pretty dependent. I was the first person I know to get a cellphone. I'm addicted to my Blackberry. I do a ton of research online every day.

That said, I still memorize phone numbers. For the longest time I didn't use the address book in my phone. I finally caved, but I still know all the numbers. I have a written address book in addition to one on the computer, too.

I really hate machines thinking for me, though, so I don't really like GPS (or autodimming rearview mirrors or anything else my car does to try to help me - except shifting.).

I don't have Tivo yet (that's coming). I especially don't like that it can tape things it thinks I might like without my explicit programming.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You can turn that option off.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I only use my cellphone to make calls, receive calls and take messages. Occaisionally I text, but not much. The thought of getting email on my phone makes me physically sick.

I have satellite radio, but only because it was a gift, and love it. I have direct TV with TiVo, which I would die without. I have an ipod shuffle that I got as a gift that still sits in the box it came in. Last xmas I got a digital picture frame that's still sitting in its box because I don't know what to do with it. I'm on Facebook, but don't really understand how I'm supposed to use it.

I do get a lot of info off the internet, but still rely on the written word (book, mags, newspapers) as well. I don't have GPS, so I rely on maps and mapquest, which works fine for me.

Oh, and I'm 42. I would be interested in knowing how old people are and how that relates to their technology use.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Disagree . The majority of cell phones are inexpensive prepaid phones (including mine, and I bet I'm not the only SportsJournalists.commer to forgo a contract).

10. imjustagirl

Numbers? I mean, I know you generally know what you're talking about. But I don't know a single person (except you, apparently) who has a prepaid phone.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I looked the study up again and it was for the UK. Something like 15 percent here.

Cheaper, though.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Consumer-Group-Millions-Americans-Could/story.aspx?guid={C5D31E7D-1C8A-4F62-BBD1-7AEB7300178C}

12. imjustagirl

Then again, I also know next to no one who would ever use their cell phone less than 200 minutes a month. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted