1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How dependent are you on technology?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Dec 6, 2008.

?

Um...how dependent are you on technology?

1. I am completely lost as a human being without my cell phone, Tivo, GPS and internet.

38.1%
  2. I use a lot of technology, but I could survive without most of it.

54.8%
  3. I could take it or leave it.

4.8%
  4. I refuse to join Facebook, but order things online.

2.4%
  5. I still have a rotary-dial phone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was thinking about this last night as I was going out with some friends. To get to the restaurant and bar, I googled each of them, got their address, plugged them into my phone navigation, and headed out. Without my phone, I'd have been screwed because I've never been that good at reading maps, and taking my eyes off the road to look at Mapquest directions would suck.

All of my phone contacts are in my phone. If I were somewhere without my phone and needed to call my mom or my best friend...I couldn't. I no longer know people's cell phone numbers.

I no longer know what channel, day or time television shows are on. I just come home, fire up the Tivo 1-2 times a week, and there they are.

I'm not sure I've possessed a phone book in the past six years. I get all my phone numbers off the internet.

Surely I can't be alone. How dependent are YOU on technology?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I refuse to vote in internet polls, because I'm afraid THEY are watching me.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They're not. But I am.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!

(I heart technology)

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I used to figure as long as I didn't have a cell phone, I was fine.

Then I figured as long as I didn't text, I was fine.

Then I figured as long as I still read the hard copy of the newspaper, I was fine.

Then I figured as long as I didn't Facebook, I was fine.

Now I figure as long as I don't Twitter, I'm fine.

That should last 'til Tuesday PLAY VOICES CARRY!!!!

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Add me on Twitter, rube.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Come over to the dark side, BYH. Start Tweeting, dammit.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I download episodes of my favorite shows cause I'm too cheap to pay for Tivo :D Another of my new favorite things is getting certain people's Facebook updates as texts on my phone.

I'm completely dependent on it, really.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dependent away from work?

Maybe 1%

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

At first, I wasn't sure if this question was actually meant for the Single Ladies of SportsJournalists.com . . . .

[​IMG]

:D ;D :D ;D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway . . . .

Somewhat, mostly for communication. But I'm limited to Internet and a cell phone. I use Mapquest printouts all the time.

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Isn't that just text messaging, but on a network? What happens when that becomes obsolete? Jump to the next network? I admit to knowing little about it.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I should say, I could get by just fine without any of it, I think. I did at one time, anyway. It's a quality of life thing, though.

Except for phone numbers. Cell phones have atrophied the part of my brain that I use to remember phone numbers.

We were sitting around drinking beer back home over Thanksgiving, and I could still rattle off all my buddies' home phone numbers from high school.

I don't know anyone's cell phone number. I click on their name.

Draft saved Draft deleted