1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How closely will you be following the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did he also lead a study to see if a Michael Caine movie is on TV?

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the Olympics, largely because I enjoy watching a lot of sports and seeing the best in the world compete at them.

I much prefer the winter Olympics -- I love hockey, skiing, bobsled, luge and curling -- but often gorge out on track & field, swimming (to a lesser degree), water polo and some of the more esoteric sports. I'd love team handball if it were ever on. Unfortunately, the Peacock shows us nothing but nonstop gymnastics and beach volleyball, and might sprinkle in a swimming or track event.

2008 was fun because we had just been to Beijing three months earlier, and so we got to re-live the trip in a lot of ways. The nationalistic fervor China had for that event was unreal.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You've heard you can watch any event online, right?

nbcolympics.com. Check it out.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You have to subscribe to cable or satellite to take advantage of that.

5. jr/shotglass

Yeah ... are people still watching on antenna?

(Oh ... saw your earlier post there. I guess a few are.)

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There are a few I know who don't have cable or satellite, and it's pretty tough to pick up a signal in some areas, even with a big antenna.

7. jr/shotglass

Well ... anyway ... if you have cable or satellite, you should be able to watch every single competition you want online.

I tried it tonight for the Great Britain-Senegal soccer. No announcers, which in a way was pretty cool. It felt a little more like you were there, with the ebb and flow of a soccer crowd.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could use somebody else's log-in to get on there.

9. jr/shotglass

Shoot, I would think you could, Inky. I seriously doubt they're tracking IPs on every Olympic viewer login and checking them.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yep. You just need a user name and password. NBC is using YouTube this time around instead of Microsoft's Silverlight, which makes for a much better user experience.

11. jr/shotglass

Another thought, though. I wonder if two people using the login at the same time would trigger anything. I think MLB.tv checks users like that.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

You'd just need to borrow a login from someone who never watches the Olympics online.

Never expect Comcast to do anything to benefit those of us who still get our television over the air, as their business model is still in the mode of trying to force people to purchase 400 channels to get the three they really want to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted