1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How closely will you be following the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 26, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'll be all over it. Got a soccer game on now.

Oh, and, Dre, Inky and Armchair, I'm with you -- handball is all kinds of awesomeness. The finish of the Norway-South Korea women's semifinal in '08 got me hooked for life.

[​IMG]

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Probably because the US is never in the team handball competition.

I think the only times the US has been in it was when they didn't have to qualify - 84 and 96.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My son swims and is obviously interested in Phelps and a few others. I'll watch that. The rest, I figure it will just be on the TV at night if the Giants aren't playing.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I actually met a guy who played for the U.S. in team handball in the '72 Games. He was a small-college football player who had never heard of the sport and somehow caught the attention of the USOC or the handball federation or whomever and was asked to try out.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just doing a little poking around on-line and it looks like they're rebuilding again.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Track, road cycling, time trial, soccer, triathlon - completely absorbed.
    Beach volleyball, women's basketball - when the US is playing.
    Swimming - when Phelps and Lochte are involved.
    Men's basketball - send me news of our victory.
    the rest - just give me the medal count.

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

We have a local college professor who is watching every minute of NBC's coverage to prove that the network's coverage is biased to American sports and athletes.

He is being paid to do this.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If someone will poke me when it's over, I'll be happy to know it.

I honestly didn't know it had started already. Didn't know the opening ceremonies were this week. Won't watch. Don't care.

And it's not bragging. It's just answering the question.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

American network focuses on Americans? What bullshit. There should be an investigation.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

EVERY country's TV coverage is biased. I was in France for the 1984 Games. You'd have thought the only sports in the Olympics were fencing and kayaking, where France is strong.
    A reporter for USA Today whose name I disgracefully forget once noted, "You have to remember, the Olympics is the only time our paper has a home team." That's how TV thinks about it, too.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I work from home, this is a quiet period and I like the summer Olympics so I expect to have something on most of the time.

I have signed up for the streaming and installed the apps so can watch on my laptop, ipad, and iphone - I'll be glued to the dressage competition. Dressage is one of those sports that isn't even a recognized sport during the two weeks of the Olympics despite Stephen Colbert's decision to make it his sport of the summer and the media interest in a horse owned in part by Ann Romney.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Love the Olympics, winter or summer. Probably watch a lot, although maybe not as much as Beijing or Vancouver. Swimming, diving, cycling, volleyball, tennis, handball are some of my favorites. Fencing is pretty cool, too. Covered that (and some other stuff) during the 96 Olympics in Atlanta.

One of the nice things about the Olympic TV coverage now is that with the addition of the cable networks (since 2000 on the Summer Games), more sports get extra exposure.

Draft saved Draft deleted