1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How closely will you be following the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know we have the thread about the Games themselves. But this one is a little bit different: How close will you be following the events in London over the next two weeks?

It seems that pride in not watching the Olympics is rivaled only by pride in not watching the NBA. That said, I think I'm going to dive all-in this year. A big reason is that I think it's a great way to introduce my 3-year-old son to a lot of different sports and get him excited about them.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

A little, but not very much.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good amount because there's nothing else much going on right now. Plus it's on all day and good to have on while doing some work.
  4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

As usual, I'll be all-in on track and field and then pick-and-choose major events here and there. Also, I love handball so I'll make sure to catch a good amount of that.
  5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Probably only what they show on highlights of Sports Centre or something. I'm a Winter Olympics kind of girl.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Live sports on TV on weekdays are awesome. So I'll be watching it every day.
  7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Well, here's the thing:
    I enjoy the Olympics for how they are helping me to fill out a late-summer budget for my sports section. For the next two weeks, if there's a hole in my budget, I can just plug in an Olympics story and be on my merry.

On a not-work-related note, I do not care for the Olympics. It's basically a celebration of competitions that are only considered to be sports for a two-week period every four years. It's overblown. No city seems to be able to handle the logistical nightmare that the Games cause. I imagine this year's games will be about a 50-50 balance of actual events and featurey sob stories brought to us by Jimmy Roberts.

So, yeah, I'll be following the Games the same way I follow the NBA season -- just closely enough so I know what's going on.
  8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You spelled Center wrong. :D

I'll be all-in on track and field and basketball. Will try to watch most of the team sport stuff as well as weightlifting, boxing, wrestling and the other combat sports.
  9. Inky_Wretch

During primetime coverage, probably. But NBC is showing a ton of sports live in the morning. Yesterday, I watched four soccer matches. Today, I'll do the same. Just wall-to-wall game coverage.
  10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I will probably take advantage of the on-line option quite a bit this time around too. I like watching quirky sports - like team handball - that we only see once every four years.
  11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

What channel is volleyball on?
  12. Inky_Wretch

Same here. My wife loves the Olympics too. Four years ago, we caught ourselves watching live flat-water canoeing at 3 a.m. just because it was on.

And I don't understand why team handball doesn't get a bump in the Summer Games like curling does in the Winter Games. It's great to watch.
Draft saved Draft deleted