1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Chipotle Changed American Fast Food Forever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Really? I don't know what the numbers are, but Subway is crazy popular where I am in Central California.
    There are a lot of them, and they are all busy.

Chipotle is always crowded, but they have a lot fewer locations.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Subway is just awful. Their quality has regressed so much over the last 10 years...

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree. If I have to have Subway I'll just do their bland roasted microwaved chicken. They couldn't pay me to eat what they call roast beef.

4. joe

joe Active Member

La Bamba was a regular after-bar stop in Champaign. The next day, la bomba.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Subway still comes up on a lot of lists for top brands and top brand engagement.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wasn't talking about the quality of the food necessarily, just the business model (though I enjoy Subway).

In other words, giving Chipotle credit for coming up with the billion-dollar idea of bridging the gap between sit-down and fast-food restaurants --- and marketing itself as a healthy alternative --- is completely incorrect. Subway was doing the same thing on a national basis in the early 1990s.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As someone who grew up in South Jersey, I always loathed Subway.
    However, after 13 years of living in Central California, I've been worn down. We've got more Subways than Starbucks in the town where I work. Getting a decent sandwich around here is almost impossible anyway.
    Subway is close to my office and works with my diet/fitness goals.

I am sad to say I've fallen into the pattern of eating lunch at Subway several times a week.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

These burritos put Chipotle to shame. Unfortunately, it's a local chain.

www.neatoburrito.com

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think you're pretty much 100 percent correct on this point.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What Subway is missing, I guess, is the hipster Q-rating. Maybe they should fill all their locations with brushed aluminum and laminated concrete (which Chipotle probably stole from Apple).

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I just think the food is better at Chipotle.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think trying to equate Chipotle with hipsterism is more than a bit of a stretch.

Draft saved Draft deleted