1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Chipotle Changed American Fast Food Forever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What about a place such as Five Guys?

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Don't places such as Chipotle, Five Guys, Baja Fresh and Rubio's consider themselves fast casual, a step up from fast food.

Not sure of the distinction other than they cost a bit more than McDonald's, Burger, King and Taco Bell.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes.

But, Chipolte is among the fastest of them. Since the food is not cooked to order, but is assembled when you order, it's ready for you by the time you complete your transaction.

To me, a place where you get a number and they run you your food is a different animal.

And, a big part of the difference, beyond cost, is quality of food, as well as the restaurant atmosphere. You don't get formica tables, and chairs that are bolted to the floor at Chipotle.

And, it's a trend that's gaining even in fast food restaurants. Dunkin Donuts is building much nicer restaurants, in order to compete with Starbucks. Even McDonald's is building nicer restaurants.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's not fast food.

5. 93Devil

https://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx

A chicken burrito, chips and salsa comes in at a cool 1600 to 1800 calories.

http://midtownlunch.com/2008/04/21/basic-math-blows-holes-in-chipotles-absurd-calorie-range/

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You can also get a very filling meal at Chipotle for 500-600 calories.

If you build a burrito bowl, and skip the cheese, sour cream, guacamole, you can do just fine there.

7. 93Devil

Steak, beans and brown rice in a bowl put you at 510.

How does brown rice have more calories than white rice? That surprises me.

8. 93Devil

And a burrito bowl is just another name for a salad.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Cheese is what gets you. Still quite a bit of calories and I love Chipotle. Probably eat it once a month.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I don't know about Chipolte (never had it), but I have noticed an explosion in Mexican cuisine. As a child of the '80s, Taco Bell was about as authentic a place one could find in town. Now there's a burrito/taco/whatever on every street corner. And I don't even like the stuff. For one Italian restaurant, maybe 10 Mexican restaurants. I'd rather have chicken parmesan or lasagna, just my taste.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Brown rice and white rice (at least if they were the same grains to begin with) should have fairly similar calorie counts.

The difference is that white rice has had the bran and germ removed -- taking away most of the dietary fiber, vitamins/minerals and all of the bran oil. Polishing/refining rice to make white rice removes most of the nutrients. That gives it a shelf life of decades without spoiling or attracting pests (why it became more popular) compared to a much shorter shelf life of months for brown rice.

The nutrients, vitamins/minerals and oils you remove when you polish rice should only account for a slight difference in calories. It shouldn't be huge.

White rice can sit longer without spoiling, and people like it because it is essentially a straight glucose delivery system. Eating it isn't very different than injecting small amounts of sugar right into a vein. Brown rice leaves all of the dietary fiber from the bran and germ, which slows down the glucose absorption. It also leaves behind a bunch of other nutrients and oils that you don't get from white rice.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, OK, any place will provide a ton of calories if you order every god-blessed item on the menu.

I order three taco, double chicken, with cheese. It is 600-700 calories. I'm pleasantly satiated.

As someone who can pack on the pounds in a hurry, I won't let McDonald's or Burger King near my mouth. I eat Chipotle at least twice a week. 5-9, 155, 32 1/2-inch waist.

Draft saved Draft deleted