1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you separate yourself??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, Apr 14, 2008.

1. This may sound redundant, but I would like some help with this ...
    I graduate in less than a month with a journalism degree. I have sent out almost 20 applications in the last couple months to newspapers around the country. I have worked as a sports reporter at two different newspapers -- hometown paper (33k circulation) and college-town newspaper (47k circulation). I have clips from every sport on every level except professional. How can I separate myself from other May 2008 grads? I really think my portfolio is pretty decent, but what I feel and what those hiring feel could be totally different. Any help would be great ...

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

clips that don't suck help, too.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You clearly haven't worked for a Singleton rag. ;)

4. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Something offbeat and unusual, yet positive on your resume. Helped me...

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Marry the publisher's daughter.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Be willing to relocate. That's a biggie right there.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Do you have any background in multimedia?

Being able to do your own cool online stuff -- Flash presentations of photo galleries you shot and edited, being able to supplement features with audio clips of interviews, etc. -- demonstrates that you're someone who can roll with the punches as the industry continues to shift its emphasis to online.

Draft saved Draft deleted