1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can Norv Turner be an NFL head coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I firmly believe that Norv has dirty pictures on somebody. As a coordinator, he's great. As a head coach, he's awful.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Drip is Anthony Munoz, so he was qualified to type that.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If you were an annoying fuck, I would bet you on that.

But, alas, all evidence shows you to be rather reasoned and logical.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Chargers will win the division. They just need to be a game back of Denver going into the final game, which they'll win. They'll own the tiebreaker over the Donkeys.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

LOL, you are are what you are Simon. What it is, I have no clue but you are what you are.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd agree with that. If the Chargers are healthy, I could see them being a scary team to face in the playoffs.

The problem is Rivers, who is great in a blowout, but God-awful if it's not.

Give Rivers the ball with the Chargers down a few points with three minutes left and it's a virtual certainty he'll either fumble or throw a pick.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've been saying the Chargers would win the West by default for 12 weeks.

No more. That team is a fraud. Simon is half-right...LT is done but that whole fucking thing needs to be blown up. Fire Norv, cut LT and move on.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't know if I'm ready to write LT off just yet even though he's ruined my fantasy team this year. If he was healthy, it would be one thing.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

But at 29 (30 by next year's opener) and with the mileage he's got, he's not going to be the guy to carry a team. Can he still be a better-than-average back? Sure. He seems to give a shit about more than his paycheck, unlike Shaun Alexander. But his MVP days are over.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Damn straight. He's got a lot of dog in him. Worse, he thinks he's hot shit.

11. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

I think Cameron may very well be cut out of that great coordinator/below average head coach mold. He did a great job in San Diego (yes, he had great players), had improved the offense in Miami until Brown blew out is knee, and is doing a fantastic job with Flacco in Baltimore. He obviously didn't do a good job as a head coach in Miami, although he faced some tough circumstances. He got crucified for not picking Brady Quinn and that got him off to a horrible start. I happen to think he was right as I think Quinn will never be anything more than slightly above average, but the Ginn pick was questionable (he is rapidly improving) and Beck was a flop. In hindsight you'd take Patrick Willis but nobody thought the Dolphins defense would regress so fast.

Some of the head coaches that struggle seem to try to do too much. While there are exceptions (Gruden, Holmgren, Shanahan come to mind), I think it's really difficult to manage a game and call plays. Football coaches probably watch fewer football games than any of us because they are always watching film. I think that's one reason why so many of them are poor game managers. Instead of studying clock management they are too busy studying protection schemes, and nickel packages.

Look at the top 10-15 teams this year (I'll use Peter King's rankings just to make it easier)

1. Giants - Coughlin doesn't call plays
    2. Jets - Mangini doesn't call plays
    3. Tennessee - Fisher doesn't call plays
    4. New England - Belichick doesn't call plays
    5. Pittsburgh - Tomlin doesn't call plays
    6. Indy - Dungy doesn't call plays
    7. Baltimore - Harbaugh doesn't call plays
    8. Gruden - GRUDEN DOES CALL PLAYS
    9. Atlanta - Smith doesn't call plays
    10. Arizona - does Whisenhunt or Haley call plays???

Of the next five-or-so teams, Zorn, McCarthy, and Childress call plays. Childress seems to really struggle doing both. The jury is out on Zorn. McCarthy seems solid.

Teams seem to want to hire the hot coordinators, many of whom aren't great leaders. Someone earlier was right about guys like Tom Moore, Monte Kiffin, and Jim Johnson figuring it out. Do what you do well, instead of trying to be a head coach when you are better suited as a coordinator. It's also has to be really tough to turn down the opportunity when presented.

God knows there are some horrible offensive coordinators in the league. If you are a good one (Cameron, Heimerdinger, B. Schottenheimer, Martz, McDaniels, T. Moore, Al Saunders, the Turner brothers) you've got a chance to be a coordinator in the league for a long, long time.

12. Mizzougrad96

I've been pretty surprised at some of the coaches who have done well in the NFL over the last few seasons.

Who the hell thought Mike Smith would be a good hire? McCarthy has done pretty well in Green Bay.

Childress and Kubiak spent all this time as hotshot "next great HC" as coordinators and both have been awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted