1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can MLB be fixed post-Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Dec 14, 2007.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I'd like to see them try to speed up the game.

Bill James suggested limiting the number of pickoff throws a pitcher can make and limiting the number of pitching changes that can be made in mid-inning:

1. You can make one free move per game.
    2. You can remove a pitcher once he's given up a run.
    3. You can still lift a pitcher between innings.

Eliminating these annoying (and strategically dubious) LOOGY/ROOGY moves would probably shave 10 minutes off each game. More importantly, it would prevent the managers from slowing down the game at the most tense moments.

As for fixing PEDs:
    1. Institute random testing that has no teeth; i.e. tests that cannot detect designer PEDs or HGH so that only a few marginal players from the Dominican Republic will ever get caught.
    2. Hire a public figure who is beholden to the owners/commish and pretend he's really an independent investigator to conduct research into drug use by examining already existing police/FBI cases and newspaper investigations.
    3. Produce a small list of users that shocks no one and represents a mere fraction of the number of real abusers but pretend that this dog-and-pony show is comprehensive.

Wait, they already did that...

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Idaho,
    I'm as dubious as any. And, historically, baseball and the union have been resistant to change.
    So, I certainly understand the skepticism.
    But, owners are conscious of appearance. In a sense, it's what got them into this mess.
    And when Congress hauls Selig and Fehr in front of an Oversight Committee again, it will promote change. Last time it brought about a penalty system. A real one. This time it will be research and development. Or, at least the funding.
    Baseball (and Selig) with the Union will be shamed into change. And if they don't. They will piss off someone, somewhere. All of a sudden there will be a federal prosecutor with a subpoena -- something George Mitchell did not have -- confiscating hard drives in gyms and basements across America.
    Where others failed or fell short, the Feds will not. Ask Barry Bonds. Michael Vick. John Gotti. Al Capone. They don't care how they get you. They will get you.
    You see, it was the Feds really behind Mitchell's report. Without their deals with Radomski and McNamee, there is no George Mitchell Report. There is no uproar of the last week.
    If that doesn't satisfy the Feds and get baseball moving, they will squeeze someone else. It's a game only a federal prosecutors' office could play. It's a way to dance around Antitrust Exemptions and still apply pressure.
    Their message is clear: Clean up the game.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Look at the newbie status, spnited. Plus, it's actually been a few days since the last cap war.

But I got a good chuckle out of your post and his response.

Draft saved Draft deleted