1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can I provide you with excellent copy editing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As a Freedom alum from two of the five papers I worked at, you're absolutely correct.

And it's going to get worse. Perhaps some of the Freedom folks can ring in and add details to this, but as I understand it from talking to a former OCR reporter, it goes like this:

As a result of the internecine warfare with the Hoiles family earlier this decade, a private equity firm came in with a large infusion of cash to buy out the rebel faction of the Hoiles.

They're going to want to get their money back -- with a nice premium. That's how these folks work; they eat from a rather large spoon.

If the Hoiles group that still owns the paper can't make those payments, you're going to see carnage that will make some of the other depressing stories read like Dr. Seuss.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I spent six-plus years in the Freedom chain before getting out a couple of years back. Birdscribe hit Freedom's situation square on the head. If it weren't for a dissident motorcycle-riding Hoiles descendant in Colorado who wanted his money right then and there, Freedom would be in great shape. Now, instead of "Freedom Family" and the golden rule, it's corporate-speak and the bottom line. It's a shame, because prior to the involvement of the equity partners Freedom treated its "associates" extremely well.

Draft saved Draft deleted