1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can I provide you with excellent copy editing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I want to speak to a supervisor, dammit!

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That just makes me sick. If I was at that paper I would be really pissed. If I was India I would be even more pissed. They don't want to deal with our failing newspaper industry.

3. sjfan1

sjfan1 New Member

I work at a Freedom paper, and I think it's only a matter of time before they're mentioned in the same breath as Gannett, McClatchy, etc. They're still a long way from the JRC stories I've heard, but Freedom really seems like it's run by idiots who are dedicated not to journalism but to squeezing every dollar out of and pissing off every one of their employees.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

To be fair, it's the OC Register that is doing it, but some of the Register's weeklies. Not that makes it any better, but it's not like the major metro is doing it.

Edit: Actually it has nothing to do with the Register at all, they just said the Register because that is Freedom's flagship paper. It is some of Freedom's weeklies:

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I'm sure third-world countrymen will be well-versed in freedom of the press issues.

And it's football people, not American football. Screw the rest of the world.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This really is disgusting.

I don't even know what else to say.

And consider the source, of course, but a commenter on this item says there will, indeed, be OC Register copy that will be edited oversees. Given, this item, I certainly won't be surprised if it happens.

I will be sick, however.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How long before the nightly MLB roundup is replaced with a cricket roundup by some sly Indian copy editor?

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I sit here thinking about some of the shitty prose I edit on a regular basis and I realize it's going to be absolutely inhumane to outsource the responsibility to someone making 44 cents an hour. One look at the originl draft and they'll start wondering if they took quite enough English classes.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

AP confirms last week's mediabistro report about the register shipping copy editing functions to India (via reporter g):

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D91GQIK80.htm

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Why not just grow a stable of freelance copy editors? Still spending less money than on staff, and maybe, just maybe, you're dealing with local or quasi-local folks who have actual experience/training in the industry.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, the silver lining is that cricket coverage is really gonna pick up!

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's the sandals. Has to be the sandals.

Draft saved Draft deleted