1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can I provide you with excellent copy editing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/newspapers/fbla_exclusive_orange_county_register_to_outsource_copyediting_to_india_87477.asp

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Sadly, this was inevitable. Just surprised a paper the size of Orange County is doing it.

3. rascalface

rascalface Member

USA! USA! USA!

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

What was a running joke in my newsroom, just a year ago, now seems to be the new reality: Journalistic functions outscourced to Third World Countries. MediaBistro reports the Orange County Register is rumored to be shipping copyediting jobs to India this summer.
    (via http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/)
    http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/newspapers/fbla_exclusive_orange_county_register_to_outsource_copyediting_to_india_87477.asp

5. lono

lono Active Member

Rumor is SportsJournalists.com is going to outsource moderator functions in a cost-cutting move: "Hi, I'm Moddynanthra, I'll be your moderator today."

6. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I've joked with colleagues and even posted on this website that it's only a matter of time before preps call-in are shipped overseas, but imagine live gamers, with interviews by video conferencing. Would Lou Piniella screaming into a video camera after someone in Bombay asks a dumb question really have the same affect?

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

What is your opinion of Kingman's performance?

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

More like: Can you talk about Kingman's performance?

9. Babs

Babs Member

In other industries, a lot of jobs that were shipped to India in the past decade are coming back home because the quality of work over there is not up to snuff. Wages are low (rising fast), but you end up needing two people to get close to the production as in the US, and even then it's not worth it for quality.

So these jobs could be leaving now, but don't be shocked if in a year they are back home.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Your posts are being recorded for quality assurance.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Bullshit, playthrough. No one can assure quality with posts here.

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

"Please to be talking about Kingman's performance?"

Draft saved Draft deleted