1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can Hillary survive?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I
    I'm using my solution and your case of worst-case scenario. If they always hate us, then they'll always be killings. But let the Iraqi government and army get strong enough to at least curtail some of the crap like they do in Jordan, which, I admit, is hardly the ideal democracy we seek in Iraq.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yawn, I see the logic in your thinking but I'm just not sure what we're hoping to have can ever actually be achieved. It's difficult to "force" democracy on a people not suited for it yet, especially if they won't take the initiative themselves. I'm not particularly willing to sacrifice more American troops when the Iraqis can't even decide what they want out of the deal.

3. We don't seek democracy in Iraq. The people who launched this war don;t believe in democracy anywhere. We seek power and, if that means letting the Sunnis and the Shia butcher each other while we seal the borders, well, hell, let the good times roll, right?
    100 more milligrams and you're there, I'd say.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Comparisons:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I think you need to tell that to the Iraqi president and parliament. Not me.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Back to the topic. Yes, Hillary can survive. She's going to leave a smoking hole where Obama stands. Just when it appeared Obama had won the weekend snowjobbing the good people of Selma, Hillary dropped the wildcard on him and sent him running out of town.

And his message seemed so, so very fake to me. I wonder how many people bought it. My vote: not many.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Fenian's Democratic representative moments after signing the surrender papers.....

Sure, peace is that close (Warning: the link is disturbing):

http://www.worldjewishnewsagency.org/nick_berg_beheaded.jpg

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The Iraqi president and parliament didn't just call for more U.S. troops to come over there, the U.S. president did.

And if people like you can't be convinced, then what hope would we, as the American people, have of getting our own elected officials to listen to us?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Times called him on part of it:

Mr. Obama relayed a story of how his Kenyan father and his Kansan mother fell in love because of the tumult of Selma, but he was born in 1961, four years before the confrontation at Selma took place. When asked later, Mr. Obama clarified himself, saying: “I meant the whole civil rights movement.”

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, because that beefed up security is working so well:

BAGHDAD, Monday, March 5 — A suicide bomber detonated a car full of explosives in the historic booksellers’ district of Baghdad today, killing at least 20 people and injuring 65 others, police officials said.

The bombing followed the opening of a new stage in the intensified security plan for the capital, where more than 1,100 American and Iraqi soldiers moved on Sunday into Sadr City, a stronghold of Iraq’s largest Shiite militia.

The attack in the book market raised questions about the effectiveness of the security plan, which has apparently succeeded in reducing the number of execution-style killings in the capital but not the number of car bombings.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I heard an exerpt on NPR this morning. He made it sound, as any other politician would, I might add, as if he walked across the EP Bridge, too.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Its funny the Times guy who asked question was Jeff Zealny - same reporter who put Obama on spot about using the heater when he announced his candacy.

Draft saved Draft deleted