1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can baseball dinosaurs so consistently get Moneyball wrong?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"None of this could have happened without the personal computer, of course."

- Sandra Bullock

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I must be missing something. Before Bill James or Billy Beane, they did play Major League Baseball, right? And one team won the World Series, right? And a lot of times, that team was the Yankees (like almost any time in baseball history since the 1920), but a lot of times it could have been the Cardinals or the Dodgers or the Reds or the Orioles or the pre-Beane As.

Someone just reminded that was true. So relieved. Thought baseball didn't exist until Sabrmetrics and guys going 13-12 winning the Cy Young and stat geeks trying to tell me that a guy driving in 100 runs in a season might not be all that.

Three things to keep reminding myself: 1. Don't argue religion in an Irish bar. 2. Don't tell a Glee fan you might not like Glee. 3. Don't tell a 21st-century baseball stats geek that baseball did just fine in the 20th century.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did you read the article? If you did and still agree with Conlin you have completely missed the point and are a fool. The rest of your rant was utter nonsense.

Things evolve, well most things. I guess that 13 and 12 pitcher should have been able to control his own offense. It's 2011 Hondo you might want to catch up.

4. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

It's impossible for things to improve. Got it.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

You are a caricature of yourself.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Go read 'em.

Although, I do remember James at one point saying something like, "the one most effective thing any offensive player can do is hit a home run."

Remember, in the 1970s, it was still possible to find people who would seriously argue that Ty Cobb had been a better baseball player than Babe Ruth.

7. Shawnkrest

Shawnkrest New Member

Lost in this debate is the fact that it's the longest thing Conlin has written in 15 years without using the word "Svengali"

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

They played baseball before 1947 right? It did "fine."

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Thread about a Philly area writer and Drip hasn't dropped by yet?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There is money to be made and career breaks at play. And egos to be fed. These guys aren't out only for advancing the dialogue, as some claim.

I know a guy who just turned a recreational blogging outpost into a full-time, corporate-backed baseball blog and then into a weekly column for Baseball Prospectus. For them, that's like making Harvard Law Review.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Poor Bill. Oh well. Let's just hope he didn't consult on the Brad Pitt movie coming out soon.

12. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

So, hondo, to cross sports: was Trent Dilfer a better quarterback than Dan Marino? He's got a ring, after all.

Draft saved Draft deleted