1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can baseball dinosaurs so consistently get Moneyball wrong?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 19, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Listen, I'm no baseball expert. My last year of organized baseball was 8th grade, when I literally did not get a hit all season in Senior Ball.

But I get the concepts of Billy Beane. Its not rocket science. How can these baseball neanderthals be so consistently wrong about some pretty basic concepts?

From Bill Conlin:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20110719_Bill_Conlin__Athletics__Beane_has_been_Beaned.html

...The A's went for position players who put up good numbers in good programs, run scorers and high OBP guys. They also were big on BA with RISP...

Seriously? After all these years? You can't get the basic sabermetric stuff right? Billy Beane was looking for CLUTCH HITTING??

Pathetic.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wait, I thought the baseball dinosaurs were from this awesome generation and it was all the kids of today's generation who were a bunch of lazy bums who didn't do anything but tweet stupid things.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I mean, wrong wrong WRONG. Joe Morgan still thinks that Billy Beane actually wrote the book. That level of wrong.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Poin, you didn't go far enough with the excerpt. Conlin continues: "Contact hitting was more sought after than longballing." Uh, that would be no.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

yup, I stopped reading.

Seriously, unreal.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But not surprising from Conlin.

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I feel stupider for having read that. That's how awful that is.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe he's doing what I was doing that day with the Scottie Pippen/Arkansas shenanigans?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No, tweeting stupid things is just one of the things the kids of today's generation do.

And NOW you may get off my friggin' lawn.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to join the Conlin-bashing except one little fact: What has Beane won?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"This never happens when writers use 'smart phones' to type up their articles."

- Catherine Zeta-Jones

Draft saved Draft deleted