1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can American boxing rebuild itself?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You said you were working on a story, which, I assume, most of us here thought you were looking for suggestions on different boxing subjects in order to write the story. I don't think we were planning on being the primary quotes for the story.

This premise of this whole thread is more fraudulent than a fight that has both boxers working for Don King.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I think there was a plan of doing this about 5 or 6 years ago. I know ex-IBF champ Chris Byrd was going to fight in it. I don't think anything much came of it though.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I gave a little bit of thought as to how sad it is that this would actually be a mini-issue for someone.

But then I realized I was giving it more thought than I should.

4. rponting

rponting Member

Mr Bio, that was one great article. The research was utterly exhaustive. ::)

5. mrbio

mrbio Member

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

But it's the interwebs! Everyone's an expert!

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

The first problem is the first line of the story: "American sporting journalists (who do not cover boxing) shared their ideas and suggestions..." Really? Did Scoop confirm that those who replied don't cover boxing? If so great, but I kind of doubt it.

The second problem is that Scoop didn't make it clear from the outset that those who posted replies were basically writing his article for him and that their comments would be reproduced elsewhere.

To say, "I"m working on an article" doesn't mean "I'm interviewing you." In the context of this forum, the former means, "I need advice," and the latter means, "I need quotes."

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm not American or a sports journalist.

9. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Ha! I have the lead comment, and I know next to nothing about boxing! Take that, American sporting journalists!

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm sure you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Lose the Pay-per-View that has been in vogue for so long...contract out to the Networks are basic cable stations and see what you can put together.

If you're not available to the masses, you're not going to grow. Back in the day, people used to know the fighters because they could watch them.

I loved the Contender series on ESPN...would like to see something like that again.

12. btm

btm Member

Did anyone else notice that Phil Anselmo of Pantera lore writes articles on this site as well?

http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/philip-h-anselmo-what-if-david-haye-wins/

Draft saved Draft deleted