1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can American boxing rebuild itself?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very true.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but the joke that Olympic Boxing has become is not helping the sport either.

Before, you could count on the Olympics promoting new talent once every four years, and now that is pretty much gone.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This is awesome.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What boxing has going for it over MMA is the best boxing match will be more entertaining than the best MMA fight if only for the amount of time a boxing match can last and all the drama that can unfold.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's the way I look at it, strictly on its value as a sport.

I will say Kimbo Slice would have been fabulous as a third or fourth opponent on Punch-Out.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll still try to catch all the "good" fights on HBO, but I've paid for exactly one boxing PPV in the last, oh, 10 years, and that was the Mosley-Mayweather debacle. Only way I'll do that again is for Mayweather-Pac.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I still have no idea who the YGBFKM champion is, and its mention on that site does nothing to clarify things for me.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Right after Pizza Pasta

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's a heck of an idea. A lot of promise to this if you can figure out the timing and the details.

76 - you had the Spinks brothers, Sugar Ray
    84 - Holyfield, Pernell Whitaker
    88 - Roy Jones, Bowe

All gold medalists that registered solidly as pros, and there were a slew of old gold medalists from those Olympics also.

By contrast, the last two Olympics has produced what, 1 gold medal total?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd also be favor of fewer rounds - as few as five or seven. There are always dead rounds in a 10 or 12-round bout. Score early and often. Might even help cut the turnaround time for boxers.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Welllllllll, the problem of course has always been that the very nature of boxing pretty much makes the idea of following a preset regular schedule impossible, unless you were going to cut the fights down to 3 or maybe 5 rounds.

The fact the boxers themselves can decide who they're going to fight, and where and when, make it hard to really think of it as legitimate organized competition.

Plus, with the leading fighters fighting such irregular schedules, you don't really get a chance to see how good they really are. If the Yankees played only two or three games a year, and the Heat or the Packers, how could you really tell how good they were?

Draft saved Draft deleted