1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How 'bout them Florida State Gators? That's what AP says

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bud_Bundy, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Just moved. Hope this isn't a db:

Editing note: AP corrected it to Florida Gators about 10 minutes later.

BC-US--Obama-Florida State,0146
    Obama lauds Florida State Gators
    Eds: APNewsNow. Moving on general news and sports services.
    WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama has welcomed the Florida State Gators to the White House and congratulated them on a second national championship in football in three years.
    Obama on Thursday welcomed the Gators to the East Room and says their excellence on and off the football field is worthy of praise. Obama says being a champion doesn't end when the clock runs out and noted that the team volunteers 400 hours each year.
    Obama says it's strong leadership that the team played hard together and works in their communities.
    In a moment of levity, Obama says he still supports a national playoff system instead of the current bowl system. But the president also says he's confident the Gators could've defeated any team out there.
    The Gators upset the No. 1 Oklahoma Sooners, 24-14, in the BCS National Championship in January.

AP-ES-04-23-09 1613EDT

2. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

That's hilarious. I'm guessing the writer isn't used to writing sports-type articles. Obama says.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Obama's life changed in the 15 minutes he spent with Florida State quarterback Tim Tebow, bowl analysts said.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tebow turned loaves into fishes to help the short-handed catering staff. Obama turned water into wine and healed Percy Harvin's nagging ankle injury.
    Neither could do a thing to make that AP story better.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Obama says, Obama says, Obama says.

God, that's a horrible brief.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I saw that. At first I thought Obama had made a gaffe while speaking, calling them the "Florida State Gators," then I realized that AP made the goof. Hi-Larious!

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yeah but then they should've asked someone in sports or someone who is a
    sports fan. it's just a careless mistake. someone who didn't really know sports
    wouldn't know Florida's or Florida State's mascot.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Still not as bad as the Gators putting a croc on the cover of their media guide a few years ago.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

How does that happen?

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

How was it an UPSET when Florida was favored by just about anything that called itself a bookie? (Yeah, I know, the BCS had them No. 1...but how many No. 1s in the BCS have actually won the damn thing, and how credible do we all think the BCS is anyway?)

Draft saved Draft deleted